Saturday, April 30, 2011

Day 261 - Committed, Focused and Determined - Working on My Goals

When I was raising my girls I wanted them to have lots of experiences. Since they were going to be trying new things I assumed there would be activities they wanted to continue and others they would want to give up. Piano lessons didn't stick, nor did the clarinet or the drums. Cheering was a hit for one but not the other, just like bowling and horseback riding. Roller skating at the rink was a big hit and that interest lasted for years. It wasn't easy to know when it was time to give up an interest gone sour, because at the same time I wanted to let my girls explore their interests, I also wanted to teach them about setting goals and following through on their commitments. I wanted them to stick with something long enough to know if they really didn't like it or they were bumping up against the frustration of being a beginner. What I do know is that there are times to keep plugging away at a goal and at other times it is best to cut your losses and just move on. It takes some insight and maybe a bit of wisdom to know just what to do.

For years I taught adults and when a teacher in my class didn't see the value in a particular teaching strategy we were working with, I asked that they use the technique a couple of times in their own classroom before they rejected it so they would know exactly what they were rejecting. Sometimes we don't want to take on something new because it makes us uncomfortable or because it feels like to big a stretch. Unless we give it a chance we don't know if we are refusing the new possibility because of our own discomfort or fear or because the strategy or idea just isn't a good fit, which can certainly happen. Making decisions about what may be in our own best interest based on our experiences can be a real challenge, to say the least. I like to follow my own advice and so when I have to make a decision about which goals I will continue to pursue and which I let go, I have a lot to consider; is the goal attainable? Do I have the resources available to me to real my goal? Do I have the time available to make the commitment to the goal? Will reaching this goal enrich my life or the lives of others? Is it worth it? Is it a good fit? What will I have to give up to make room for this new goal? It sure gets complicated - but if the goal is worth achieving, the complication is worth it.

Just over eight months ago I set a goal. I made a one year commitment to getting my fibro and fatigue under control. I never imagined what it would take to work on the commitment I made to myself and my family. I had every hope that I would be feeling better and doing better than I am at this point. I have committed financial resources, an incredible amount of time including doctor visits, managing meds, as well as reading and researching to make myself an informed and empowered patient. I have followed my Lady Doc's orders, I have had more blood drawn and more injections in my butt than I would have imagined and I am still committed. I choose to continue working on this goal. I am extending my goal beyond my original one year commitment and I will continue to do what it takes to be as well as I can be. I know that few meaningful goals are reached without a huge amount of effort and determination and even with that, some goals remain elusive. I know for certain that I can't reach a goal if I am not fully committed so I work every day to make sure I give this very important goal my best shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment