Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Day 243 - Sleepless Night - Lousy Day

Last night my dreams included a large cast of unhappy and stress producing characters. I kept waking up and couldn't quite put it all together, but it was not a peaceful or restful night's sleep. My sleep has been messed up again. If I don't sleep well, I don't function well for the next day or two. I have no idea what triggers my sleeplessness. I stay away from caffeine, especially after noon-time, I do go to bed at about the same time each night and I am up in the morning within an hour of the same time each day. But when I don't fall asleep until three in the morning, there isn't anything good that is going to happen the next day. There is no way I can function with any degree of normalcy once I pull myself out of bed after a sleepless night.
 
There are lots of us who know about sleepless nights - college studetns, new moms, individuals under stress, menopausal women, folks with depression and certainly those of us with fibromyalgia. For most of my life I have slept like a rock and my sleep problems had to do with my tremendous need for long hours of sleep rather than sleeplessness. For the past ten years, I have had some serious sleep problems and at one point I was chronically sleep deprived and it wreaked havoc with my body. Since I started with my Lady Doc last August, my sleep has been much less of an issue. I do take meds at night - but not sleeping pills that knock me out and into oblivion. I tried those heavy duty sleep meds that are so beautifully advertised on television and I had an experience that was truly frightening. I don't want to get too personal, let it suffice to say that I appeared to be awake and I was up and functioning, but had absolutely no memory of it the next day. I could have driven my car or cooked or taken a walk in the middle of the night without any awareness because those drugs have a hypnotic effect. After that experience I swore I would never take a sleep med like that again. And I haven't. For months and months I have been sleeping well and I have to say it is a real luxury to sleep through the night. I want that back again.
 
I have learned in living with fibro, that symptoms come and go, with or without treatment. I might go a fairly long while experiencing pain and suddenly it just goes away. I have my good times and I have crashes. Those ups and downs are to be expected. My sleep issues seem to come and go as well. When I don't sleep, my fibro really kicks up and all kinds of symptoms are triggered. It makes it a lot harder to cope when I am not functioning because I didn't sleep well. Lack of sleep can cause memory problems, difficulty concentrating, it can impair decision-making, cause clumsiness, weight gain, impaired glucose tolerance and in the end you just feel lousy after a bad night's sleep. When I haven't slept well I have less patience, I  feel less motivated and certainly more tired. When I have one bad night after the next I just give up and spend the day in my jammies and try to get rested up enough that I can start to function again. So here I am facing another night. I am going to get into my most comfy PJs, take my supplements, play my sleep music on my iPod, think good thoughts and then just gently drift off to sleep....please. 

No comments:

Post a Comment