Monday, April 11, 2011

Day 242 - Today, Spring Took Good Care of Me

 Today was my first warm day on the new porch and it was yummy. I opened up the windows and pulled back the shades on the glass roof to block the strong sun and I basked in the warmth of our first real spring day. Today was the kind of day that reminds me of everything I love about this time of year. Bare feet, a tall, cool drink, a soft, warm breeze and time to enjoy it all. Typically, I feel my best late in the afternoon and in the early evening. My favorite time of day in the warm weather is late in the afternoon when the sun has dropped a bit and the major work of the day is behind me. So my best time and my favorite time come together in the spring. In the early evening I can enjoy taking time to sit and relax, eat outside on the porch, maybe read, have some conversation or take a slow stroll with my hubby. In contrast, in the winter my best time of day is dark outside and getting colder. Not the best combination for me.

Just one warm day is a tease. Tomorrow it is supposed to be cool and cloudy and then get a bit warmer at the end of the week. But still, it isn't winter any more and I think the worst of it is behind me. The way I usually get through something tough is to set my eyes on the goal and power on through. That's what it felt like this winter - I had my head down and I shouldered on. Granted, I did get some time away from the cold and that was a blessing, but once I got back into the cold it was right back to just hating the way the cold just sets in my bones. I never felt like my feet were warm and I dreaded going outside when the wind was blowing and the chill wrapped itself around me. I believe that part of the reason I don't do as well in the winter, aside from the cold temperature,  is because I need the sunshine and the short days seem to rob me of some of my energy.

I cannot control the weather and I am not in a position to move around to follow spring-like temperatures. I want to live close to my family, I am not ready to stop working and I don't want to move every time the seasons change. So what is left for me to do? Well, First up is an attitude adjustment - accept what I can't change and just get on with it. When it's winter I have to make my plans to minimize the negative impact of the cold and dark, and then just get on with my life. I wear clothing that keeps me as comfortable as I can be and I let fashion fly out the window when I need to. In the summer I don't deal with the heat and humidity any better than the cold, and in some ways it is even worse. I can add one more layer if I'm cold, but if I'm too hot, there isn't much more to do except choose to slow down, conserve my energy and stay comfortable. So, I guess what I like most about spring is that it is sweet and it treats me kindly. I don't need to strategize, I can be outside and just enjoy all the things about the season that nourish me.

No comments:

Post a Comment