Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Day 251 - The Good Samaritan and the Cop at My Door

I rarely hear my dog bark the way he did tonight. It was as if he knew he had to protect us from someone or something. When my hubby checked out the front door he saw a police car parked in front of the house. He closed the door and the dog settled, but I didn't. I wanted to know why the car was out there so I stood at the front door with my dog and watched as the officer sat in his car with the interior light on, taking notes. I was starting to get really curious, but I also felt a little strange standing in the doorway, monitoring a police officers behavior. As I was about to close the door I noticed the light inside the vehicle went out, and the officer climbed out of his vehicle. He was coming to my house! Gulp. I know a policeman is supposed to be our friend, but I couldn't think of a single good reason for him to be appearing at nine o'clock at night.

I waited for the officer to come to the door. He asked if I was Diana R and asked my hubby's name. I confirmed who I was and waited for what was coming next. He said there was a problem with a check. Hmmm. I don't write many checks so this was a mystery. I invited him in. Seems I had paid a person I hired to do some work in my home and the check wound up in a parking lot ten miles from my house. A good samaritan found it and turned it into the police. Now, that's my kind of visit from a police officer. He was very courteous and called the police station in the other town and we arranged to pick up the check. I called the individual who lost the check and the person was totally unaware it had been dropped. We both commented about our happy ending and shared our appreciation for the person who went out of their way to be honest and helpful.

Good things happen all the time and it is really important to take note. It seems effortless to list all the bad stuff going on, to complain about what isn't working and to lose sight of what's right and good and wonderful each day. Recently I've been heading toward a real slump - grumpy, negative, discouraged, and pretty much unpleasant to be around. Not feeling well doesn't do much for my sunny disposition. I have had so many bad weekends, I am far behind around the house and in being caught up with a bunch of responsibilities. I feel stressed and afraid I will never catch up. Even though I don't like to ask for it, I need help. I had some help today and I paid for it willingly and thankfully. Then tonight, circumstances came together to make sure the money I paid out for the help I desperately needed, was put back in the right hands. Everyone benefited. Me, because my work got done, the workers because they got paid for a day's work, and some good-hearted, honest and responsible person got to do a good deed and feel good about that. That one small act set a little piece of my world right.

No comments:

Post a Comment