Saturday, April 2, 2011

Day 233 - Do Extroverts Have More Energy - Or Do We Just Fake It Better?

 After a really long and newsy conversation with a wonderful girl-friend I came away with yet another insight about how I cope with my daily fibro difficulties. I've always noticed that I feel my best when I am around people that I know well and love. It doesn't matter how fatigued I feel, just a little while into a conversation and I begin to feel a bit better. Sometimes, quite a bit better. It doesn't mean that the feeling will last, but for that little while, I feel more alive and energized. It makes sense. and I wonder if it's because I am mostly an extrovert. What I've learned about the introvert/extrovert thing is that if I'm an extrovert I get my energy from going outside myself , being around other people and that I think things through by talking about them and by sharing and socializing with others. In contrast, an introvert is energized by going inward and by more solitary pursuits. Introverts are usually more reserved (not shy) and are less outspoken and lose energy in large groups.
 
My explanation may oversimplify these two personality traits, but it is generally accepted that they play a large role in how we interact in our world. When I get on the phone with my daughter, a friend or an upbeat colleague, I can feel my energy start to build and the more we talk or laugh, the more energy I feel. For that reason, I often sound just fine during a conversation and I think it leads people to think I am in great shape, even though I may go back to snuggling on the couch as soon as I hang up the phone. I have noticed that since I have been dealing with the worst of my fibro and fatigue, extended socialization in new or very busy social situations, drains my energy, no matter how much of a good time I am having. On the other hand, I stay energized much longer and can build a stronger head of steam when I am out with people I know well and who share their vitality and are full of life. Maybe my being an extrovert does make a difference.
 
There is a downside to being energized externally by people and social situations. I think what happens is that I gather mental energy, emotional energy and a good shot of adrenaline with my extroversion. I don't think I am gaining any body/physical energy and that's where I run into some trouble. I sometimes feel like I am running on what I call fake energy - it's energy that lasts through an event or a situation and when it is done I am finished, too. It's like when I go to a wedding and dance. Once I start to dance I feel energized by the music and the fun of it - but boy do I pay for it the next day. My team meetings are the same - I get through them with flying colors and then crash for the next day or two. I don't feel as if resting up for something does any good. I don't seem to be able to store extra energy for those times when I know I will need it. So I plan to have my rest time after I know I will be busy so that I can get my feet under me again. I have no idea if the introversion and extroversion perspective means anything or if it's just another fibro mystery and unanswered question. But at least I know I do have at least one possible source of energy - my extroverted personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment