Monday, April 4, 2011

Day 235 - WOW! This Could Be Good - No, Make that Great!

Living with fibro and chronic fatigue creates issues about using and conserving energy. The amount of energy I have available for me to use each day is an abstraction - how do I know how much energy I am using? How do I know when I am pushing past my limit? Dr. Benjamin Natelson writes about a way to determine the energy a person with fibro and fatigue has available each day using a simple system. Natelson says that a simple way to measure the energy used each day is to wear a pedometer that measures the number of steps taken as well as  the number of feet a person walks in a day. The pedometer is worn for about a week and each day the numbers are recorded. Over the week, even with adding an out-of-the-ordinary activity, the average of the daily numbers should give a pretty accurate picture of energy out-put. That number goes into what Natleson calls your energy envelope. The number may not be exact and it may not be reflective of all the kinds of energy expended per week, but at least it is a place to begin.
 
I am going to do this and see how it works for me. In the past I have determined my activity level based on how I feel - now I can use the actual feedback from my body - reflected in my numbers - to determine my activity level. Once I establish my baseline number, by continuing to wear the pedometer, I can start to see my energy patterns. It may be that many of my days are actually going beyond my baseline and I may have to reduce things a bit until I can build myself up, or it may be that on some days I have some energy to spare. I will have at least some way to quantify my baseline energy in-put and my daily energy out-put. I also plan to add in a way to quantify other stresses I experience each day. Social situations where I run out of energy before the event has ended is a good example of being physically stressed without taking steps. Or a tough family situation or work-load may be emotional stress culprits. Using this system I may be able to learn to make adjustments so I achieve better balance.
 
Every person has their own energy level and that's what goes in their energy envelope. I'm thinking of the number as dollar bills in my envelope - I can't spend what I don't have. If I do over spend, I go into debt. For me, an energy debt means I get sicker. The goal in using this process is not to eliminate things in my life that create stress or use energy. The goal is to be more aware of the energy I've got, how I am expending it, and then to bringing it into sync.  I will have to gauge whether my stress is as much a factor as my steps, and I have a feeling, at least for me, the stress may carry some significant weight. In addition, people with fatigue issues have a hard time exercising and can become de-conditioned, so getting back in shape takes effort and energy. I know this is important and I have started doing yoga again. I will increase my walking once the nicer weather is here and I will map out my plan based on gradually increasing the steps in my envelope. This is an experiment that feels exciting. Actually, I can't wait to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment