Thursday, December 30, 2010

Day 140 - A Cure for Cabin Fever

I haven't been out of the house much this week, just a few little jaunts here and there to run errands, but there have been many days this week I didn't even peek my nose out the door. It's just too cold and it gets dark so early! Today the cabin fever hit and I wanted to get out and about, have a nice lunch in a quaint little town and look at some pretty winter scenery. So that's what we did! Late this morning the hubby and I popped into the car and headed for parts unknown. We had an errand or two to deal with and that was okay - it was just another part of the adventure.
 
We headed north to the part of New Jersey that is filled with country roads lined with big, tall trees, creeks and rivers, rambling old houses from an earlier time and lots of farms and open spaces. I don't know why I still get a kick out of seeing horses in a pasture or cattle grazing in a field, but I do. I still love to watch a brook splashing against the rocks as it winds its way deep into the woods and out of my sight. I love to see the snow on the ground and the icicles that form off rooftops and branches. It's a feast for the eyes and a balm for the soul. I love to explore and to see new things, as well as things I've seen a zillion times before..
 
There are lots of pretty places to drive to and we both know the area pretty well, so at each intersection we made the decision where to head next, no plan, a whim set the path. We had lunch in a little main street restaurant in a wonderful little town and later we stopped for coffee. All afternoon the conversation was easy and relaxed. My hubby is a low-key, laid-back kind of guy and it's easy to feel relaxed around him. He doesn't mind when I drift off into a quick nap while he's doing the driving, or if I get tired when we've walked around town too much. I sit down when I need to and he just stays nearby, acting like it's no big deal. I really appreciate that about him. He doesn't make me feel diminished or weak when I have to tend to my fibro needs. So with that ride, I cured my cabin fever and I had a sweet kind of a day. This year is coming to a very pleasant end.....

No comments:

Post a Comment