Saturday, December 18, 2010

Day 128 - Sticking Close to Home

The hubby and I had planned on being away for a few days over the holidays. But I don't think we're going to make it. We wanted to go up to the mountains but it is so cold, I can't imagine myself having much fun in the frigid weather! He will want to do some cross-country skiing and snow shoeing, but at least for this winter, those things are not on my list of possible activities. Sure, it's great to be in the cabin with the fireplace burning - but that means packing and unpacking to leave, then packing and unpacking again once we head home. It also means extra laundry, grocery shopping and whatever else it takes to be away from home for a while. Sounds like a huge project to me!
 
I used to love weekend get-aways, but I'm loving them less and less. If I could wave a magic wand and have my bags packed, the arrangements magically taken care of for the cat, someone to organize the mail so I don't come home to a pile that rivals Mt Everest and someone to put everything thing away once I got home, I might consider it. But I don't have a maid or a butler, so going away remains a big job.
 
We both have a few days off so I think instead of heading north, we're going to plan to relax around here. We're not big partiers, quiet times at home might suit us just fine. I'm thinking about what I'd like, but I also have to consider what my hubby will enjoy. There are times when he goes to events without me and I know it gets hard for him to be at home when there is good stuff going on that we could attend together. We need to have a heart-to-heart and an honest exchange about how we will spend our time. I don't want my need to hunker down to negatively impact my hubby's enjoyment of his time off, or how he celebrates the holidays.
We are a team and both our needs must be considered.

No comments:

Post a Comment