Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Day 124 - Many Hands Reaching Out

About a zillion years ago I was on a retreat and we did a trust walk. (Do you remember that trust exercise from your high school days when two people held hands and one led, while the other followed, with eyes closed? That's the one we did- but I was in my thirties). Anyway, we walked into the woods, with about a foot of snow on the ground. I was being led through the powder, fully trusting my partner. At one point he took a step and I followed, but I must not have been right behind him because I sunk to my waist and he was just fine!! Actually, he was so fine, he let me go so he wouldn't fall in along with me. We laughed, I dusted myself off and we talked about what all that meant. Did I feel let down? Did he not keep me safe? Was I annoyed that he led me into a ditch? Would it have been better if we both fell in or was it good to have someone to pull me out? It was a wonderful conversation and in the end, I trusted him even more than when I was blindfolded.
 
The purpose of the trust walk was to question whether a person could put absolute trust in another and still feel safe and protected. For many people it was easy, and even fun, but for others, they weren't quite into the "I can trust  you" mentality. It told each of us something important about ourselves. My partner and I made some significant connections to our lives and our relationships and it was important for us to be authentic so we could get the most from the exercise. I have always been a very trusting person, sometimes too much so, and it's gotten me into some pretty good messes. We talked about that. As I've matured, I've learned discernment and I realize that not everyone or everything is worthy of my trust. But, all-in-all, I give my trust more than I withhold it and I will trust until someone proves I shouldn't.
 
I'm thinking of that trust walk today because I feel that it really represents where I am today. I am holding the hands of the people who are near and dear to me and looking for them to help keep me safe and protected. I can't do this journey alone and the fact that my family, friends and co-workers are so kind and supportive, means I can lean into them and know that they won't let me down. They really are, in the biggest sense of the word, "there" for me. At home my hubby has really stepped up, my daughter is fiercely in my corner, the folks at work are taking on more and more and doing it with a sense of commitment and determination. My friends couldn't be sweeter. They all speak their minds and pull me up short when I'm doing something that isn't in my best interest, as well as encourage me when I am. I feel an overwhelming sense of trust in the people who are in my everyday life. I know with them, that even if I fall into another ditch, there will be many hands reaching out, ready to pull me up. I am so very blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment