Sunday, December 5, 2010

Day 115 - Brussel Sprouts and Taking a Risk

Yesterday when I went shopping for a few groceries, I made a very huge purchase. Yesterday marked the very first time in my life that I, myself, purchased brussel sprouts. This is a big deal because I have never, in all my adult years, cooked a brussel sprout in my kitchen. I've already shared my hatred of the innocent little lima bean and brussel sprouts are right up there with them. But here's the thing, if I am going to stay open to my life as it unfolds, I have to be willing to take a risk every now and then. Maybe things are different than they were when I hated those small, round, intensely bitter mini-cabbages. Someone else did the cooking and they didn't taste very good at all. Well, now I'm the cook, and I'm going to whip up something special and change my mind about something I have steadfastly held onto for decades. My goal - to embrace the lowly brussel sprout and make it a welcome part of my winter diet. Big goal. Gulp.

I've taken other forays into unknown or disliked foods, but none as brave as taking on the brussel sprout. When my hubby and I were dating, we would go to the grocery each week and pick out a fruit we had never tasted before and probably never heard of. Once we made that decision it seemed there was an entire world of fruits we didn't know anything about. Most weeks we were pleasantly surprised, but this one week, yikes! We bit into the most unappetizing, pucker creating, nasty-textured fruit I've ever experienced. I don't remember what it was, but I don't intend to eat it ever again. We still laugh about that taste test and I don't regret for a minute taking that risk. Getting out of my comfort zone is an important way for me to feel alive and connected. Who knows where one little choice might lead?

Life is full of risks - big and small. Certainly in the scheme of things, choosing to eat a brussel sprout is no big deal. I'm a grown up and if I never want to see another one on my plate that's my choice. But I think that if I can keep myself open to the small risks and challenges life puts before me, the more able I'll be able to take on the bigger ones. Nothing in life is for certain and life can sure turn on a dime. But if I can embrace uncertainty, take appropriate risks and keep myself from being firmly entrenched in a rut, I think I have a better chance of making good choices. I've avoided some things in life, just like I have those dreaded veggies, but I know I am strong enough to look it all straight in the eye and move on from there. Now if it turns out I still hate brussel sprouts, so be it. At least I can say I gave it my best shot, and I took on a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment