Monday, December 27, 2010

Day 137 - I Can Stop Before I get Into Trouble

Today was a lovely day. I was kind of stuck inside because of the snow. We got well over a foot of the white stuff and it was very cold and windy all day. I am so happy that we downsized because in a storm like this all the clearing is left to the homeowners association (better them than me)! I spent the morning lazing around after making a nice breakfast for myself and the hubby. Later in the day I dragged out my sewing machine. I had to hem a few pairs of jeans for my daughter to take back home with her. Hemming is one of those tasks I put off forever because it is so tedious. But today was a perfect day for that kind of a job and once I got into it, it was actually kind of fun.
 
I love small jobs that have a beginning, a middle and an end. I looked at the clock when I started my hemming because I was curious to know how long it would take for me to finish the job. It was much less time than I anticipated and it even got me motivated to do some more mending and alterations. But I decided it could wait until tomorrow. I was smart enough to stop using my sewing machine before my back and neck started to act up. Now I can approach a new set of little jobs tomorrow knowing that I don't have to be in pain because I've stuck with a task for too long.
 
Once I get into something I hate to stop. I really can get into the rhythm of an activity and I lose all sense of time. I usually know it's time to stop when my muscles start to lock up and I can't stand the pain any longer. In the past, I've pushed through the pain when I really wanted to do something that was interesting and motivating for me. Now I am better at stopping before I create trouble. Knowing when to stop continues to be a challenge for me because I love to do so many things. I did much better this year with my holiday preparations and I didn't even have a crash after the big day. Maybe, just maybe, I'm finally learning to take better care of myself. Wow, wouldn't that be something. Real, measurable progress and something that I have control over. I can identify a healthy choice that gives me a real benefit. I like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment