Friday, December 17, 2010

Day 127 - Serene Time Alone - An Absolute Must

The house was quiet most of today. I've been doing a little bit of puttering and the quiet has been soothing. There are just some days when it's good not to have any background chatter - whether it's the radio, a cd or the television. I never feel lonely when I'm by myself on this kind of day. It's actually a sure-fire way to help me re-charge my battery. The sun was starting to go down so I thought it was time to bring in a little company, so I headed downstairs and popped in one of my favorite holiday cds. It's a group that I've listened to for many years and it's just instrumental - no words to think about, just soothing beautiful music. So as I write it is softly playing in the background.

Serenity is required for my healing. I need peace and quiet combined with some joy and that's a perfect recipe for getting back up on my feet. I need my alone time as much as I need food and water. Without it I get cranky and on edge. It doesn't have to be a great big chunk of time, but it has to be enough time that I notice that I am spending time alone. The quiet helps me to get centered and to shed all the busyness my brain typically dishes out. As I move from one low-key activity to the next, I feel relaxed and in control - not hurried and frazzled. I rest between tasks with a cup of tea and I let myself enjoy my own company. If the cat chooses to plop down on my lap, that's just fine with me. We relax together.

My quiet time feels different at different times of the day or night. It seems to match the day's unfolding - in the morning my energy slowly rises and in the afternoon it has found its pace. As the sun goes down, I start to sense the letting go has done it's work. I feel settled and as the night falls, I am ready to light a fire and curl up on the couch. A quiet day alone is a real treat because most of the time when I'm alone, there is also a lot going on around me. Not today. It was blissfully quiet and peaceful and I feel ready to ease into my weekend. It's nice to be alone and not feel lonely.

No comments:

Post a Comment