Sunday, December 26, 2010

Day 136 - I Can Treat Myself as Well As I Treat Others

This past fall when we were up at our cabin, we took a drive to a really neat general store in a town not far from us. There aren't many stores where we go up in the mountains and the few we frequent are filled with every imaginable treasure - from toothpicks to bedspreads, batteries to jewelry, books to boots. You want it - they've got it. Need it - it's there, too. Wandering around Hoss's Corner is like wandering through a museum as well as a gift shop, clothing store, grocery store and sporting goods shop, all rolled into one. There's something for everyone. On the way out, there's even a bin of penny candy (it costs a nickel, but who's counting?). A trip to Hoss's is an adventure.

I am the queen of bargain hunting and I rarely pay full-price for anything. I figure I can only spend a dollar once and I'm going to get the most out of that dollar! Even when I'm someplace on a weekend get-away, I am always looking for something on sale or at least the best value. So, when I tried on a really beautiful embroidered fleece vest, I knew I wouldn't be taking it home with me. I just wouldn't pay full price - even though I loved it! I couldn't rationalize spending that kind of money on myself. When I got home, though, I hit the internet looking for that same vest on sale. It didn't happen. I was pretty disappointed because the vest fit perfectly and I really did love it, but I just wouldn't pay the price they were asking and I figured I could wait until it went on sale. Did I need it? No, I wanted it, and for me that's not the same. So I let it go. It was the sensible thing to do.

Well, life is full of lovely little surprises. Last night as I was opening my Christmas gifts - what did I find? You guessed it - my vest. It is the perfect size, color, and fit, and I couldn't be happier. My hubby got it for me because he knew that I wouldn't get it for myself. As much as I appreciate his generosity and thoughtfulness, I have to remember that sometimes it's okay not to be so sensible. It's easy for me to buy for others and to be even a bit extravagant with the ones I love, but I don't usually do that for myself. This year I want to make sure I take as good care of myself as I do others. It was more than wonderful that my hubby got me that vest. But next time, I'm going to think it through a bit differently. I don't need to go crazy with the idea, but every now and again, I think it's just fine that I treat myself to something I want - even if it's not on sale!

No comments:

Post a Comment