Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Day 138 - A Memory Like an Elephant - Ummm, No.

Last week I called to make a hair appointment on Wednesday morning. I chose a morning appointment so I would have the rest of the day to do as I pleased. Two hours later, I realized I had a doctor appointment at that exact time so I called and changed the appointment to just after noon time. An hour later I realized my doctor appointment wasn't until the NEXT Wednesday and there was no need for me to change the appointment. All this was done while I was looking at my calendar. Geez. My brain takes me places I just don't plan to go.
 
One of the things that happens to me (even when things aren't really busy) is I get my details all messed up and confused. Add busy to that and I see myself getting behind on the more mundane parts of my life. I start to notice my paperwork is piling up more than usual and I have more things on my household to-do list than I normally would because other tasks were a higher priority. Even on a calm, no-stress day I have missed a few meds because I forgot to bring my pill box with me when I went out, or I went into the kitchen to take my pills and forgot about them once I got there. When I forget it might be hours before I remember again. Soooo annoying! I can get myself into a pretty good routine and then it doesn't take much for me to lose it and have to  re-group and get focused yet again. It's great to have fun things happening that break the everyday monotony, but boy do they wreak havoc with my organizational skills.
 
I've never been the most organized person on the universe, so I've always needed to borrow a few organization strategies from my more organized friends. Problem is, I don't know how to make them stick! I keep a little notebook in my purse for writing things down that I need to do and remember. I just need to LOOK at that little notebook more often. I forget that I have it and so I forget stuff anyway. I write down appointments and obligations in my daily planner - then forget to open it up on the days I don't go into the office. I have a special case to carry my meds with me and I still forget to take them. I put an alarm on my phone to remind me of a med dose, to make a phone call or keep a doctor appointment. Problem is, after I turn off the alarm, the message goes right out of my head. Sometimes I write things down in more than one place and then I wind up double booking appointments. I've yet to find an ironclad strategy.
 
I really, really want to have a great memory, a clear head and a mind like a steel trap that never forgets a detail. I don't. Not today, anyway. But I can hope that it will get better. And I can plan for it by continuing to practice the organizational skills I see working for other people. I just need to stick with it and continue to make the most of the messy situations that get created when I experience a brain burp or a fibro moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment