Thursday, December 16, 2010

Day 126 - Not Cheery or Chatty - It's Morning After All

Getting up and out to go to an early meeting is a real test of will. I need a bomb under me to get me going in the morning. My hubby usually nudges me awake and will periodically nag me if I don't get moving. He's nice about it - but I'm in no mood to be cheerful or chatty so I give him a lot of credit for taking me on. This morning I got a late start and I just hate the way it feels to be rushing around, trying to get out of the house on time. I had to make a conscious effort not to burn all my energy before I even made it out of the door.
 
I have a true envy for morning people. You know the ones - they pop out of bed by six every morning, they exercise, meet friends for coffee, eat a healthy breakfast and hit the office by eight and never break a sweat. They are filled with energy, wide awake at the crack of dawn  will take on anything that comes up. It doesn't matter to them that three fourths of the world is still sound asleep, or grumping about the fact that they're not. I do best later in the day, like around four in the afternoon until around eight at night. But that's if I haven't worked that day. In that case - I leave it all at the office and come home ready to veg on the couch. I know that there are times that I can't bend my schedule to my will, but I do know that if I want to get something done, it's best if I don't go at it first thing in the day.
 
If work demands my attention early in the day, at least being around other people is a positive energizer for me. I find that when I'm at work everyone I'm with adds to my energy level and I can get more done when I'm surrounded by other busy people. It didn't take long for me to figure out that I'm not a morning person, but I spent years working with responsibilities that had me starting early and that worked against my natural body clock. It's good that I now have fewer days when I have to get up while it's still dark outside. I have a schedule that is much friendlier to my body and I can ease into the day and let my energy build a bit before I tackle whatever is next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment