Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Day 117 - Sadly, Some Things Have Got to Go

I just did some holiday trimming - and it has nothing to do with my house or the tree. I made a list and checked it twice and categorized activities as naughty or nice. What went on the nice list? Well, just a very few things. And the naughty list? All the things this season that will put my energy at an even lower level than it is right now. Why? Because I just got hit with a 24 hour bug and I was a sick as a person can be. I'm talking no energy for anything, including lifting my head for more than a minute or two at a time. I mostly slept for over thirty-four hours and then spent this morning napping and graduated to the couch for the afternoon. It's been horrible. I spoke with my doctor this morning and I have a revised plan for the holiday season. It's a much reduced version of my earlier plan.

So, what is going off the list - hosting the office holiday luncheon, a dress-up gala next Saturday night, a get together with a couple that we like to spend time with, preparing any of the meals for our family get-togethers here at the house (it's going to be take-out for us this year), my gift list just got shorter, and whatever else I have to do will be online. And finally, no Christmas cards this year. I do hate taking any of these things off my list but if I do more than I should I may just miss the most important moments of my holiday.

I just don't seem to be able to learn the lesson that I can't do as much as I'm doing. I already feel so limited, but I have to trim more. What I realized yesterday is that if I were to have to battle any kind of a serious illness, I might not have the reserve to win the battle. I could wind up being sick longer than I might normally be or I might not be able to function in a way that gives my life even the quality that I have now. If a simple little 24-hour bug can wipe me out the way it did - I worry about what else might knock me for a loop. So I know my friends and family will understand when I have to back off even more than I already have. I have a choice here and I'm making the tough one - a little discomfort now hopefully in exchange for a better life later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment