Thursday, June 30, 2011

Day 320 - All Fishing and No Catching

I went fishing today and didn't catch a thing but it doesn't matter one little bit. What I like about fishing is that it's lots of fun even if you never catch a fish. It's all about the process. I've caught a fish or two in my day and even won the award for the biggest catch on a fishing boat trip one time. I caught a fluke and it was the perfect fish because the fact that I won was a fluke of another kind. I have no fishing expertise, no particular skill and I couldn't tell you the first thing about how to be a successful fisherman (or woman). I just like being on or near the water and throwing in a line. I clip the barb on the hook and I make a deal with the fish that we'll just make a game of it, and I will put him back safely in the water. I don't need to eat him or mount him (like as if I would ever catch a fish worthy of mounting) to prove I had a good time.

Fishing is different than catching. I can fish all day and never catch a thing – but I still can say I still went fishing. I like that I can spend a day or an afternoon at something and have absolutely nothing to show for it except a bit of a sun burn and a bunch of happy memories. It would be nice if all of my days could be so relaxing and productively non-productive. I once saw a bumper sticker that read, A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. I don't know about that – I like my work, but I sure do like my play! And time fishing is wonderful.

I am good at enough things that I don't feel discouraged or disappointed when I'm not good at another thing. It's a big “so what”. I have nothing to prove and I know that the way I decide to spend my energy with make a difference at some other time. Being outside and spending time doing something that doesn't take a whole lot of energy is a good thing and I don't know why I don't do this more often. I don't have any special gear or a vest or boots or an Orvis catalog to refer to for the most stylish way to show up at the water. All I have are a few lures and fish eggs and my very own fishing pole. It's all I need to put together a nice day. In the end if I catch a fish, that's cool, if not, there's always tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment