Saturday, June 25, 2011

Day 315 - Sleeping Away Part of My Day

Today was a perfect early summer day. It was warm, not hot, sunny, but with just a few clouds and not too humid. I love to be outside on a day like this and relax in the shade. It makes me remember the finer things in life are usually the most simple and least complicated. What is nicer than watching little children playing in a backyard pool. or eating strawberries outside under a tree? What is more beautiful than following a path around a little pond and discovering turtles sunning on a rock. ducks paddling along the shore or finding a piece of a robin's egg that fell from the tree after the baby bird was hatched? Is there anything more lovely than spending the day exactly as you'd like to, and having it turn out perfectly?
 
I am thrilled with the way my day turned out. It didn't start out very well though. But a two and a half hour nap set me right. I knew my day was going nowhere fast when by mid-morning I was dragging and felt like I had no energy left for the rest of my day. But, just like yesterday, and the day before, my strategic napping got me back on track. There are days when I am tired, but not sleepy, and they are the worst. But if I am having a sleepy day - I give in to the urge to put myself back to bed and use the time to get some much-needed sleep to re-energize my day. I need that extra sleep just like an automobile needs to fill the tank when it starts to run low on fuel.
 
Babies are great at knowing what they need and they yell and holler until they get it - even sleep. As much as they hate to let go of what they've been doing, they know when it is time to say nite-nite and they get grumpy and out of sorts until they are tucked into bed. For lots of years I was a master at ignoring what I needed and just kept plowing ahead, regardless of the consequences. Now, I know better, so I do better. It makes no sense to fight sleep if it's what I need, or to skip any part of the routines I have developed to keep me heading toward a better sense of well-being. I can choose to use strategies that help to give me a better quality of life and I can enjoy the results of my better choices. Today I did a good job of attending to my needs. I didn't want to miss part of my day by sleeping it away. But, I did what I needed to do and as a result I had a much better day than I ever thought I would

1 comment:

  1. Great blog. I just slept 15 hours after hiking at arches national park. I have to sleep every afternoon because my blood pressure gets so high from the pain.

    ReplyDelete