Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day 304 - Feed My Body, Feed My Soul

I understand the importance of the food that feeds my body, although I have never been a food driven person. I remember a quote that said you have to be a special kind of stupid to forget to eat. I'm that special kind of stupid. What I love even more than thinking about eating food, are experiences that feed my soul. Reading a great book or seeing a heart-felt movie, holding a baby, walking in the forest, sitting at the edge of the ocean or just about anything that involves nature feeds my soul. When I am full I feel optimistic, empowered, happy, light, and as if all is well in the world. Music feeds my soul, deep conversations feed me, and time when I am quiet and at peace with myself and the world feeds me too, I need a balance in my life that includes experiences that nurture my soul.

That's why I love to come here to Sedona. It is a beautiful valley surrounded by red rocks that both inspire and amaze me. When I am among towering formations that are millions of years old, it really puts things in perspective. Today, my sister and I took a tour that I have been on a couple of other times, into the Red Rocks. Each time I visit here, the vistas and the expansive beauty take my breath away. I am humbled in the presence of God's creation and at the same time I feel the soul of me expand into its fullness. I like the way I feel when I am here and I like the way I feel about myself when my soul is filled with the beauty of nature.

That's not to say that just because I am someplace I love that is filled with beauty that I can ignore what I need to do for my physical self. I had a decent night's sleep although I woke up too early (still on eastern time I guess), but I took my time getting ready for my day. I brought extra water on our jeep tour as well as migraine meds because I know that heat is a trigger for me. An hour into the trip I felt a headache coming on and was able to nip it in the bud because I was prepared. A single pill did the trick.  I didn't do any walking or climbing at our various stops, I stayed in the shade and just soaked in the beauty. When we got back to the room, I took a nap before we went for lunch. After lunch I took another nap and then headed for the pool, which was a nice temperature and felt refreshing. I feel like I had a day in balance and I feel good from the inside out. 

1 comment: