Saturday, June 11, 2011

Day 301 - Tales of a Weary (But Happy) Traveler

Traveling with fibro and fatigue can be a challenge and I thought I had everything in place to make my trip effortless and relaxing. HA. I don't travel very often anymore and I chose my destinations very carefully. I want to enjoy my time away and I choose places that nurture me while I am away from home. I flew to Sedona, Arizona today and it was interesting the way the day played out. My flight was just a little bit late - but just late enough to make me miss the shuttle to take me from the Phoenix Airport to Sedona, a two hour drive. I figured letting someone else drive would be less stressful and I could conserve some energy. But rushing to catch my shuttle and missing it by just a few minutes was annoying. I stayed calm and relaxed, I didn't have a deadline to get to the resort where I am staying so I waited another hour to catch the next shuttle. Once I got to Sedona I planned to rent a car. The local agent gave me the equivalent to New Jersey's rent-a -wreck. I haven't seen such old and ugly vehicle in a long time. But, it was wheels and that's what counts.
 
I stopped at a local motel where I was directed to pick up the car. What I didn't realize was that the people at the motel had no idea the car was there. waiting for me. It was all very strange. I didn't want to just hop into a car and start searching for keys under the rug so we called the rental agent and got instructions as to what I was supposed to do. I found the car that was left for me and lugged my suitcases across the parking lot and shoved them into the back seat. It was hot outside and sunny - and I do mean hot. So by now I was sweaty and getting very tired, I got into the driver's seat and searched inside the car until I finally found the key, which was very well hidden. I put the key in the ignition and turned it. Nothing happened. Not a sound. The car was dead. This was not good. So I went back into the motel to cool off and call the rental car agent again. He explained that the only other car he had was sitting at the repair shop but he was pretty sure it was ready. He said he would come by to pick me up. He did - in a powder blue Audi convertible, top down. Sweet. I asked if that was my car. He simply said NO. (One can only hope?)
 
I hopped in and he drove me to my second rent-a-wreck. I thanked the man and got into my rented vehicle. I had to drive back to the first wreck to get my luggage. I switched it over and I was on my way. I got to my hotel ready to finally settle in and relax. My room wasn't ready and wouldn't be for at least another hour. Seriously? It was already eight o'clock New Jersey time and all I wanted to do was get into my room, kick off my shoes and relax. Plus, I hadn't eaten since I had my fruit and cheese snack on the plane. For my trouble I got a substantial gift certificate to the resort restaurant and a nice welcome package with "spa" products. That was very nice, but it didn't take away from my feeling of tiredness.
 
I maintained my composure through all the little annoyances and I have to say that the people at the resort were very sweet and helpful. I thought I had planned out this trip so that I would conserve energy and be able to enjoy my stay. I started packing early in the week, shipped my meds ahead so they would be here for me and I wouldn't have to worry about them being lost or confiscated, I packed lightly so I wouldn't have to deal with more than I need and I picked a place to be that is spiritually nurturing as well as beautiful and interesting and I didn't do the two plus hour drive from the airport. I can't control the things that happened on my way here, but I can control the amount of stress it causes. I chose to stay calm and make the best of each glitch. I am now in my room, sliding door open with the curtains lightly blowing in the breeze. I can breathe deeply and drink in the sweet night air, put the troubles of my day behind me and just relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment