Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day 299 - Knots and Spasms and Pain, Oh My!

This past weekend I was in the car a bit going to pick up my daughter and getting her back again. Over two days it was six and a half hours. Ever since then my legs have been aching and miserable. Even though I have lumbar friendly seat in my car, my back and neck are screaming at me, too. I always tell family that I have more of a problem with fatigue and fog than I do with the pain of fibro as I work to manage my condition. But I keep forgetting that I have neck and leg problem quite frequently, I just don't find it to be as difficult to manage as the inability to function because I am wiped out. I am managing my body pain using supplements that include glucosamine and chondroitin and regularly scheduled massage. I have tried the "fibro drugs" that are widely advertised but I cannot tolerate the side effects and the toxicity concerns me.
 
When I went for my massage this morning I didn't expect for it to be relaxing, it never really is. I have learned to take the good with the bad when I go for my body work every ten days or so. I do like the quiet and the awareness that I am being tended to and moving toward healing, but that's where the good feelings stop. My therapist thinks I need regular massage so that I don't lose the benefits I gain from my hour long treatment. I can't go once a week because it takes more time than that for my muscles to recover from being manipulated. I am filled with knots and tight and spasmed muscles in my back neck, and legs. I am always surprised at how much pain comes with the "healing" touch of my therapist. He tells me that he uses the lightest pressure possible to "engage' the muscles and that I am hyper-sensitive to touch. Oh, I could have told him that! What's really interesting to me is that I don't know how much I hurt until he starts to work on my body. Once he gets started I find out pretty quickly.
 
I am going to be traveling this weekend and my poor legs and neck haven't even recovered from my last trip. I do what I'm supposed to do when I travel - I frequently stand up and stretch and once I get to where I'm going I make sure to walk around a bit. I use heat and cold packs alternately to sooth and relax my muscles and help to release the spasms. I've even found some good yoga poses that help with increasing my circulation that also stretch my muscles. Managing pain is an inexact science and because I have such a terrible reaction to many medications I have to find ways that are less toxic to my body to relieve my discomfort. Once again I must acknowledge that I am blessed to be able to afford frequent body work. Even so, the cost can be prohibitive so I joined one of the nation chain spas to keep the cost down as best I can. Today I may be hurting but I am working on feeling better.

No comments:

Post a Comment