Friday, June 3, 2011

Day 294 - Why the Heck is Rest and Relaxation so Hard to Do?

It's Friday and as I look back, this has been a better week than most. I think I have felt better these past couple of days than I have in quite some time. I saw my Lady Doc yesterday and we went over my progress (or lack of progress as it turned out) and she decided to stick with what we're doing - I will continue all of my meds and supplements with the exception of my antibiotic. I was on the antibiotic for six weeks to address a hidden bacterial infection that showed up in my blood work back in the winter. A six week round of a different antibiotic didn't do the trick but I am hoping that this round has taken care of it once and for all. I will have blood drawn again in a couple of weeks. She does think that my meds for adrenal fatigue and hypothyroidism are starting to kick in. Halleluah!

Although for the past few days I am not feeling as sick and sleepy as I had been over the past months, my doctor warned me to not overdo it. She asked me about a typical morning since I have been out on medical leave. I told her that I get up around eight-thirty and take my early morning meds, make breakfast and then watch some morning news. Then I get onto my computer for a while. If the dog needed a little walk I might go out with him. Then I might play around for a bit at my beading table. She said - that sounds like a lot. Huh??? That's a lot?!? What the heck am I supposed to be doing? My mornings sound like nothing to me. But I guess nothing is what the doctor has ordered. It's hard to rest when I am feeling a bit better and I know that today (just one day after my doctor's admonition) I did too much. I picked up my daughter and made a quick run to the grocery store and then made dinner. Oops...but it felt sooooo good to be active and productive - even if that doesn't sound like a lot to most people. Maybe I'll beat the odds and I won't pay for it, big time.

This is a great time of year to be on a medical leave and I guess if I am to stay as quiet as my doctor would like me to be, I need to think of being at rest when I am not feeling horribly sick, a bit differently. For instance, when I go to the beach I sit in a chair and contemplate the rise and fall of the tide. I might read a book, or take a little nap. I might engage in light conversation or watch little ones playing. If I am really feeling ambitious, I might go and dip my toes in the water. Hardly a strenuous day - but it's not supposed to be - it's vacation! That's the way I can think about being at home. I am on a wellness vacation. Just like when I go to the shore, when I am at home on medical leave I should expect little of myself beyond resting and reveling in pure relaxation. I know how fortunate I am to be able to take this time. I am going to make the most of it by doing the least I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment