Sunday, June 26, 2011

Day 316 - Pushed Off the Grid

My internet service was out all evening. I felt frustrated, and there were lots of things I wanted to do, but I was stuck. It’s amazing how many ways I use my computer, and without it, I feel a little bit lost. It used to be that when I wanted to be in touch with a friend, I called. Now I feel like a phone call is an intrusion. I don’t write letters - I do emails and it used to be that if I needed information, I went to the library. I didn’t used to have medical information readily available to me, but now I bang out my questions on my keyboard and get exactly what I need, immediately, and without leaving the comfort of my home. When my doctor tells me something, I can follow up by doing a search and get more information. My experience without my computer made me think about all of the conveniences that make my fibro life easier. There are more devices I can count that add to my quality of life and help me to conserve my energy.
There isn’t a day that goes by when the wonders of modern technology aren’t there to support what I want and need to do. I don’t want to give away my age – but suffice it to say that when I was a kid, there was definitely more work in housework. Now when I have to do things around the house it seems there is always something to make the job faster or easier - and thank goodness for that. I don’t have to drag out a mop and bucket – there’s a neat little mop thing with replaceable pads that does the job just fine. I remember standing and ironing my husband’s shirts for the week as well as my own clothing and now I never have to iron. I can shop online and have my clothing purchases delivered to my door. The green cleaning products I purchase do all the scrubbing for me and there isn’t a stain that can’t be erased. I can make a cup of coffee in less time than it takes to brew a cup of tea. If I need to purchase an already prepared meal I can, or if I need food delivered, that can happen, too. I can “run” errands online and never have to leave the comfort of my home.
For those of us who have been suffering (with or without a diagnosis) for decades, as we look back we can see how much today’s advancements are a God-send. I am surely thankful for all of the ways my fibro life is easier than it used to be, both because of all of the everyday conveniences but mostly for the advanced technology that puts information at my fingertips. I am empowered because I have the ability to research and review medical information that was never available before now. I can connect with other people in the same situation I’m in. I can be a more educated consumer. The daily ups and downs of living with fibro are made much less difficult because I don’t have to do everything that needs to be done the hard way. I can find easier ways to get things done and save my energy for the more important things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment