Saturday, June 4, 2011

Day 295 - I Think My Body is a Lemon

There's just a sliver of a moon tonight. On most nights it wouldn't make much difference, but it meant that tonight, it was really dark outside - not even a little bit of light from the sky. We discovered how dark it was as the sun was going down and we were driving through the mountains, on the way back from bringing my daughter back to her group home. Both headlights were out. Both. At the same time. Not an ideal situation, by any means, but we had no choice but to keep driving and get ourselves home in one piece. The back roads were like driving through ink - total darkness with not a glimmer of light all around us. We made it home by strategically using our high beams, but I have to say that I never expected to lose those lights and it made me think about how much I rely on my car being it tip top shape every time I get in it and turn the key.
 
There are probably a zillion things that I take for granted each day. I flip a switch and a room is flooded with light. I turn a handle and clean fresh water flows. I open the fridge and I have healthy nourishing food cooling inside. I type on a computer and my words reach out to people in all corners of the world - without a stamp and without me even knowing who they are. I hop in my car and I expect it to take me where I want to go and aside from a little maintenance here and there and a weekly stop at the gas station, I am literally good to go. I don't think about it, and when something goes go wrong it is a bit of a shock. The lights are an easy fix and I will be on my way again, safe and sound, no big deal. I used to take my health for granted, but I don't take it at all for granted anymore and I don't know what to expect from day to day.
 
I wish my body was as easy to fix as my car. A tune up here, an engine flush there, a few parts refurbished and if need be, replaced, and off I go. Not so with this body of mine. I keep tweaking and changing my wellness plan, and I drag my body in to see the doc whenever she tells me to come in, yet I am kind of feeling like my body is a "lemon". You know - like those cars you buy and they have to go into the shop very other week and the car is out of commission more than you can drive it? The kind of car they wrote a law about in New Jersey - it's called the Lemon Law and if you bought a car that's more trouble than it's worth the dealer has to take it back. Well, I can't trade in this body for a model in better shape so I am just going to make the best of it. My car made it home just fine without headlights - not ideal, but we had to make adjustments. My situation is the same - not ideal - but I'll make it just fine with a few adjustments of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment