Thursday, March 31, 2011

Day 231 - A Kinder Place than I Might Imagine

The nicest thing happened to me today. I went into NYC to visit my Lady Doc and I knew I was going to have an IV treatment. Because there is so much vitamin C in the infusion, I am directed to have fruit and veggies for lunch. Last week I headed to a little deli next to the doctor's office building. This week I went to the same spot and started to order the same thing - a large container of greens, another container with fresh fruit and a sliced banana all mixed together with a splash of raspberry vinaigrette dressing. Last week, since everything was separate, I took my stuff over to a table and mixed it all together and left to eat it up in the doc's office while I got my IV. This week, as soon as I went up to the counter and ordered my greens and fruit, the same sweet gentleman behind the counter asked if he could mix it for me. He said he remembered me mixing it for myself the week before. I said that it was really sweet of him and then he asked if I wanted him to slice a banana for me again. He got my order exactly right.
 
It amazed me that the deli guy remembered my order from the week before, so clearly. After all. this was Manhattan and he must deal with hundreds of people every day. I don't know why he remembered but, for some reason, that's what happened. I do remember that last week I smiled at the deli man behind the counter and I thanked him for waiting on me. But I never gave it another thought. I like showing appreciation when someone does something for me. Could it be that the simple gesture of saying thank you, with a smile, made him remember me a week later? I guess we just never really know when we are making an impression or a connection. Maybe that our smiles really do mean something to the people we come in contact with throughout our day.
 
My trip into NY isn't that big a deal but it does involve getting a cab to the train station, taking the train into the city and then getting a cab to the doctor's office and then doing it all in reverse on the way home. Manhattan is busy, loud and crazy and the cab ride is an adventure all its own. I don't mind having to go into NY for my fibro doc appointment but it turns into a six hour project from start to finish. It is exhausting. Last week it was seven hours, so any part of the trip that feels stress-free is welcomed. Today that nice man behind the counter made my day and made the city seem a bit friendlier. Some might say that being in the city means being surrounded by unfriendly people in too much of a rush to pay attention to the little niceties. Maybe so. But not for me. Not today. A deli guy in New York City remembered that I liked sliced bananas in my salad. Sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment