Saturday, March 19, 2011

Day 219 - Another Piece of the Puzzle - Blocks and Yoga

Exercise is something I never shied away from. I was always physically active - playing with the kids, skating, riding a bike, dancing, doing yoga, hiking, walking and feeling good about the shape I was in. Up until my big hit of fibro and fatigue nine years ago, I thought that I would always be able to continue my active lifestyle. The fibro I had lived with until that point was manageable and I could always work around my bad days, wandering aches and pains and my fatigue. Exercise was helping back then and as long as I didn't push too hard, I felt fine after working my muscles. It's been a different story for some time now. These days, even a long walk can feel like too much but I am wanting to get back to my stronger self. I think I've found a way.
 
A few weeks ago I started working with a yoga instructor and she has been helping me to identify yoga poses that will give me some benefit without my having to exert myself too much. I am doing many of the same poses I used to practice, but now I'm doing them differently. I've never worked with blocks before, but the things she is showing me are very exciting. After a recent MRI I discovered that my back pain was from several bulging discs in my lower back. Using blocks to support poses like the bridge I can slip a block right under my lumbar spine, rest on it and remain in that pose for up to five minutes and strengthen my legs and calm my brain. The cow, locust and cat are all good for spine health. There are other poses I used to do without blocks, but the blocks support my lower back and give me a bit more flexibility. All of these poses are easy and non-stressful and I can do them even if I am not feeling all that great.  I save the more challenging poses for days when I feel more energy.
 
Some days I can work for thirty minutes. Other days it's less. But even if I can only spend fifteen minutes on a given day, working with my body, I feel a sense of accomplishment and my mind feels a bit more clear. I don't expect Yoga to prepare me for a marathon or a 5k run. What I want to do is to slowing re-claim my strength and endurance. Any journey starts with a single step and I am ready to take this step toward better stamina and endurance.  I meet with the yoga instructor just once per week. During the time apart I stay committed to the promise I made to myself to leave no stone unturned as I search for the wellness and balance in my life that I crave. This may be just a small piece of the puzzle, but it's an important one. I'm going to keep that thought floating in my mind tomorrow morning as I am stretched into my bridge pose.

No comments:

Post a Comment