Monday, March 14, 2011

Day 214 - You Make My World Strong and Complete, Friend of Mine

I've got about ten pages left in a novel I started reading this weekend. The story line is about two friends who promise as kids, that they will be friends for life. The book was filled with all of the typical life events that both cement friendships or tear them apart. Relationships are enormously complicated and it takes an open heart for friends to stay together over the years. My friendships are a treasure and without my buddies my life just wouldn't be the same. As I was reading chapter after chapter thoughts of my dearest friends kept popping into my head and I realized how necessary those dear hearts are to me, especially since my social time is so rare and precious.
 
My friends are all different from each other. One travels and is smart as a whip. Another is so funny, we rarely have a conversation without laughing out loud. One friend is shy and we don't talk all that much, but whenever we do, we're on the same page. Another friend "gets me" and we share the same goals. even though we are at different stages in our lives. Some  friends know me from school or work and we've stayed in touch over years and miles. A couple of my friends know all my deep-down-in-my-heart secrets and I feel safe with the truth between us. Some of my friends are great guys and some are wonderful women. Each gives me an opportunity to be caring and giving and each cares for me. Friendship gives each of us a chance to accept ourselves and each other.
 
Family that are friends, and friends that are family, make my world strong and complete. I have days that my world feels limited and small and other days, when my friends are near, that feel more expansive. I am so thankful for all the ways we have to stay in touch and I don't know what I would do without my friends. This has been a hard week and I have to say that knowing that there are people who love and care for me keeps me going. I know they understand, because all of the friends who didn't are gone. I know they care, because they tell me. I know that if I need them they will come, because they have. I am rarely lonely, even after day after day of being alone. It's mostly because I hold so much love in my heart for the wonderful people who have graced my life with their warmth, wit, compassion, intelligence and love. Who could ask for more?

No comments:

Post a Comment