Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Day 201 - We're All in this Together

Over the past couple of days I've had a few conversations that revolved around medical care. I don't want to be political about it, but I just don't understand how a country with the prosperity we enjoy, doesn't take better care of its own citizens. When I went for my MRI yesterday, the technician and I were talking about the economy and she was telling me that their center was slow. I could see that for myself. There were lots of empty chairs in the waiting room. She said they had been getting fewer referrals and people were having to fight for approval for tests - even when they were extremely ill with cancer and other conditions where they clearly needed the care. She also told me that a number of MRI centers had been closed in our region because of the cuts in reimbursements. Sick people were being sent to locations that were approved by insurance, rather than what was most convenient for the patient. Very sad.

Another conversation was with my mother who is in a nursing home. Her meds were changed without any consultation and she was put on med that was covered by her insurance, but in the past she has not been able to tolerate. I question why it is that insurance companies get to decide when we're treated, how we're treated and if we're treated. I am not complaining about this for myself. I have pretty good health care coverage and I have had pretty good luck with my needs being covered. I do remember one time when my neurologist prescribed Provigil and my company refused to pay and instead said they would cover an addictive stimulant instead. Huh? Luckily I can fight for myself and I got what I needed in the end.

When my doctor won't refill prescriptions over the phone anymore because he isn't reimbursed enough to cover salaries for his office staff, that's a problem. When medical malpractice insurance is so steep an outstanding doctor has to close his practice because he can no longer afford that insurance because a partner retires, that's a problem. When a doctor prescribes meds that the insurance company likes, and not what you need, that's a problem. More and more I see that we are all connected. What helps one of us. helps us all. When you are sick and in need, I don't want you to be turned away. I read all the time about fibro sufferers who cannot afford treatment and it makes me heart sick. I do hope that as awareness of fibro and fatigue grows, we can all join together to make sure that no one is left behind when the treatments we all need to be wel,l are available.

No comments:

Post a Comment