Sunday, March 27, 2011

Day 227 - The Value of Lightheartedness - Life Minus the Drama

We took a drive out to see my daughter today. What I love about spending time with her is that she is so lighthearted - she laughs easily and with gusto! I got her started giggling and before long I was giggling, too. We went into a store and I was playing around with a couple of two-and-a-half feet tall stuffed bunnies. She was laughing so hard she was bent over and hysterical. Of course we had to make a mad dash to the ladies room because she was afraid that she was going to lose it, if you catch my drift. Well, that made us laugh even harder and it was just so much fun. I love the way I feel when I'm around my daughter and we leave all of the heavy stuff behind and just enjoy the moment. She certainly has plenty to stress over, she is multiply-handicapped and lives with many challenges as well as chronic back pain. She is a trooper and I learn from her courage every single day. She also encourages me to see the lighter side of things.
 
There is value in being lighthearted. Science shows us that being playful and lighthearted increases longevity and makes us look and feel good. One aspect of lightheartedness has to do with seeing things as important but not serious. It's an ability to be able to get through things with a lightness instead of creating unnecessary drama. Another aspect is finding ways to keep life light and playful. People have always found ways to relax and play - either in solitary pursuits or in all kinds of interactive ways like music, games and entertainment. It's important to find ways to tickle the funny bone. Findings from the Benson-Henry Institute of Mind/ Body Medicine indicate that "relaxation response alters the expression of genes involved with processes such as inflammation, programmed cell death, and how the body handles free radicals - molecules produced by normal metabolism that, if not appropriately neutralized, can damage cells and tissues." (ehow.com) Okay, that's mouthful, but it makes it very clear that when we lighten up it is good for us. Plus, who doesn't look beautiful with a big, bright smile on their face?
 
It's not easy to see the sunnier side of life when I am exhausted or in pain. When I'm feeling miserable, funny can go right out the window. So I make sure I put myself right smack dab into the middle of fun and funny. I do it by being with people with a great sense of humor, I relax and play along when something is going on that's really funny, I watch things on TV and on the Internet that make me laugh out loud and I play games that keep me entertained and amused. I try not to dramatize my troubles. I don't need a great big hee-haw of a laugh to get the benefits of good humor. A little smile, a quick giggle, or even just watching someone else having a great time helps to keep my heart  light. I don't have to see every little thing as being a serious big deal. I can lighten up and increase the quality of my life and invite other people to smile by wearing a smile of my own. There are plenty pf things in life that can cause my heart to be heavy, but I have to shake them off and remember that I only get one life to live and I want to live it fully and with some fun!

2 comments:

  1. A favorite quote of mine:
    "Laughter gives us distance. It allows us to step back from an event (pain), deal with it and move on." Bob Newhart.

    Is it okay if I add your blog to the blog list on my blog, "FloridaFibro"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great quote. I especially like the "move on" part. Fibro is a heavy load to carry every day. Putting it down feels good! I'd love for you to share my blog with your readers. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete