Monday, March 7, 2011

Day 207 - What if it's NOT Fibro - and it's Something Else?

It wasn't great news to hear that I have several bulging lumbar discs. A disc bulge in the lower back can cause low back pain or numbness, tingling, burning, or sharp pain. I've been experiencing all of those symptoms. I've had these kinds of problems off an on, but always attributed them to my fibro. The symptoms became more severe a couple of months ago so I made an appointment with my neurologist, had an MRI and waited for my results. I'm not happy, but I'll deal with this the same way I've dealt with all the other symptoms I've addressed over the years.

It's easy to attribute any aches, pains or strange symptoms to fibro and chronic fatigue since those conditions have such a wide range of symptoms. I am often tempted to ignore new symptoms instead of immediately talking them through with my doctor. I hate to call my doc about soemthing that's going on with me and get the answer that it's just the fibro, don't worry about it. With that answer it feels like I just have to put up with whatever is going on and there isn't much I can do about it. So, typically, I don't make the call and I wait until my next appointment. The trouble with that is without proper, or sometimes immediate treatment, I can get myself into trouble by allowing the symptoms of an additional condition to get the upper hand. It is my responsibility to follow up with my doctor whenever there is something out of the ordinary, or when something changes, even if I would rather not.

My good days tend to be defined by the amount of fatigue and fog I am experiencing, rather than my physical discomfort level. So even on what I call a good day, I am still dealing with typical fibro aches and pains as well as this additional back pain and discomfort. It's like a constant chatter in the background of my days. It was a smart move to contact my doctor when I had pain I couldn't explain and I am fortunate that my doctor went ahead and ordered an MRI for me. Once I could clearly identify the source of my pain, I could move ahead with my treatment plan. There are days when I feel like I am a laundry list of symptoms, but I have to stay on top of them and treat my body with the respect it deserves by addressing what ails me.

No comments:

Post a Comment