Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Day 223 - Medical News or Empty Promises?

I've been sitting here with my laptop for the past couple of hours watching a mix of cable news, international news, comedy news and news commentary. Somewhere in all of it is a grain of truth, but I'll be darned if I can tell what is real and what isn't. I remember a day when I watched the news and it was simply delivered. There were no opinions, no emotion and I was left to figure it out for myself, not have someone ramming their particular point of view down my throat. There has always been a slant to the news, I suppose, since each news source decides what they will and will not run. And now, with the endless news sources online, information is tossed out at an amazing rate. What used to take  minutes or hours to reach us, now can take seconds. Mixed in all of this is medical news and it suffers from the same degree of sensationalism.

There are more cures for the things that ail us than we can count. There are more strategies for wellness than we could apply in a month, let alone a day. There are miracle cures for any ailment, condition or illness. "Research" proves that they all work. "Studies" prove the efficacy of all kinds of lotions and potions to keep us healthy and young. There are pills, syrups, powders, injectables, drinks, things to put on, under, and around us, machines that stretch us, strengthen us and make us more flexible. There are exercises, routines and programs that assure us that if we do just this ONE thing we will find our wellness nirvana. There are camps, spas, centers, institutes and hospitals that promise if you go there for a day a week a month or sometimes longer you will leave there with your health restored and don't even get me started on weight loss.  The world is filled with promises. Empty promises.

It is my job to sort through the information I'm flooded with, and discern my own truth. I have to be the one to figure out the direction my recovery needs to take. I've grown cautious of the number one or the word only - as in this is the one thing that will cure you or this is the only thing you need to get your health restored. Yeah, right. What I believe is that I need to do many things, from many sources for many days and weeks and months to get myself well. And I believe that wellness is about a lifestyle of choices that are part of each day. It's not just about managing an illness or a condition, wellness is about the quality of life I want to attain and sustain. I may have something funky going on in my body - but that doesn't mean that all of me is sick. I've got plenty to take care of outside of my fibro. I will continue to search, and read, and explore important issues around wellness. But what I know for sure, is that there isn't one thing that will turn my life around. It will be the combination of many truths that I have implemented in my life that have put me on the right path.

No comments:

Post a Comment