Saturday, March 5, 2011

Day 205 - A Sisterhood of Pain and Healing

Woke up early this morning with a migraine. took my meds and flopped back into bed and slept for another couple of hours. I had a hair appointment and got up just fifteen minutes before I had to leave. I brushed my teeth, ran my fingers through my hair, took my meds and headed out the door with my bag of make-up in tow. At each traffic light I applied one more layer of spackle so when I walked through the doors of the house of beauty, I wouldn't scare anyone away. It was of no use, I still looked like hell. Two seconds into the conversation with my stylist she said (with much concern), "Are you okay? No offense, but you don't look so good". "Migraine", I replied.
 
She was so sweet. She must have told a couple of other stylists while I was changing into my very stylish beauty parlor gown. When I came out, there were three young ladies standing there, ready to tell me their migraine stories, advising me to drink plenty of water and then making sure I had a tall, cool glass ready for me. I was then taken back to the "special procedures" room and my hair was done in a space where there was no one else, no noise, confusion, bright lights or peppy energy from the rest of the staff. It felt so nice to be tended to that way. I was almost in tears leaving home because i felt so crappy, but I knew if I didn't keep my appointment it would just complicate another day in my week. So I soldiered on and I was met with a healing energy that made it a better day.
 
It is wonderful that we have so many people around us who really do understand when we're not feeling our best. Just because we are the ones with a label on our troubles it doesn't mean we are the only ones who suffer or struggle with pain and illness. We have to remember to give empathy, support, and words of caring to others who have their own troubles. I don't ever want to get so wrapped up in my own drama that I forget that I have plenty to offer to others and they need to feel cared for as well. We are all connected, all in this together, and few us of experience something no one else ever has. Yes, we are special and unique, but we also have a lot in common. When we strive to lift each other up and lend a hand to those who are down, the world becomes a little softer, a little nicer and a gentler place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment