Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Day 229 - I Can't Give In and I Won't Give Up

I was thinking today that I am really fortunate to be living in this age of convenience and how all of today's technology and innovation make my every day life with fibro quite a bit easier to manage. If I can't shop, my groceries can be ordered and delivered to my door. If I can't cook, I have plenty of options available to me for a quick and healthy meal. If I have a question, I can go online and get an answer or pick up the phone and call an expert. My meds and supplements can be purchased from a store around the corner or I can order them online and have them delivered to my door. If I feel down or confused I can go to a support group meeting in my town or on my computer. I don't have to iron clothes or even sew them myself. Life for me is filled with conveniences and even though there is no one answer to managing my medical issues, I have to appreciate that in this time and place, I am blessed to have so many supports and innovations to help me continue to function.

There was a time that every night I would write down  five things that I was thankful for or appreciated having in my life. It made really hard days less tragic when I could sit down and write about all of the blessings I had in my life. I never had trouble coming up with five things, even on days that seemed to have no redeeming value. We've all had those tough times when seeing the good in our day seems an impossible task. I can always start with being thankful for the ease of living in this country compared to so many places where people live on just a dollar or two a day. I have clean water to drink and clean air to breathe. I don't take those things for granted because someone in the past fought for those standards. I am thankful for a roof over my head and a soft pillow where I can rest my head when I feel tired or weary. I am thankful for all of the people who work every day to make my world safe. I am thankful that I have a voice and that I am not punished for speaking my mind. I have an endless list of what I am thankful for because my life is infinitely better than it might be if I lived in another time or another place.

It is important that I get out of myself and my problems. It's a really big world and I am just one little speck in a great big universe. Even as that little speck, my life is important to me and the people in my life are what I appreciate most. But if I spend my time thinking about how life has done me wrong because I have medical issues to deal with, I think I'm missing the bigger picture. Everybody has something. No one escapes this life unscathed. When I talk to my friends and loved ones I sometimes think that I am the lucky one that I only have to deal with fibro and chronic fatigue. It is important that I pay attention to my entire life and not see every little thing through a fibro filter. I have my days when I need to rant and other days when I just want to crawl into a ball and hide under the covers until I feel strong again. It's to be expected that I will have my ups and downs. But the bottom line is that there is more good than not in my life and much to appreciate and be thankful for, so I can't give in and I won't give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment