Sunday, January 30, 2011

Day 171 - When a Decision Feels Right, It's Probably a Good Decision

Before heading north I decided to do a bit of shopping today and I and tried on a few bathing suits. As every woman knows, that is a real test of self-esteem and self -acceptance, especially in the middle of winter. I've maintained a decent weight all my adult life, but let's get real, gravity has certainly taken its toll. A bathing suit in January isn't usually at the top of my shopping list, but I figure where better to get a suit than in Florida? What was really interesting to me was if a suit didn't fit it made me look and feel terrible.When it didn't fit it seemed to accentuate all of my least attractive features and my better features didn't seem to be so good anymore. But when I tried on a suit that was the right size and style for me, I looked just fine and I didn't pay any attention to the features that just minutes ago looked like a real problem. I bought it.

I pay a lot of attention to what seems to "fit" in my life, whether it's a bathing suit or an option I need to consider. When a decision resonates with me, or strikes me as being real or true, it fits. All the positives are accentuated and the negatives seem to be balanced and lose their power. I am comfortable with making decisions based on fact but using my intuition to guide me. I tend to trust the way a decision makes me feel. If I'm uncomfortable, then I reconsider my choice. If what I've decided seems to flow and not have much resistance, I feel good about moving forward. When I try to force something or approach it out of fear, the decision always seems to create difficulty and then fall apart in some way. It may be immediate, or it may take a good bit of time for the outcome of my decision to erode and fall away in my life, but it eventually happens.

I have been making some pretty hefty decisions around my health issues over the past couple of months and I my life is bearing the fruit of those decisions. I decided to take some time away from the cold and that was a very good decision, When I thought about it, the idea seemed reasonable and smart and as I planned the time away it all seemed to fall into place, including a plan for making the trip economical. I am working on re-defining my role at work and that is a smart thing for me to do. As I think about what it may mean I am excited about the possibilities and I am eager to move forward. I am still focused on my wellness plan and along the way I have had to make some tough decisions that have re-directed my plan and have kept me heading in the right direction. Whether it's a bathing suit or a decision I need to make with my Lady Doc, when my choice feels right it is time to move forward with a sense of confidence and optimism.

No comments:

Post a Comment