Monday, January 17, 2011

Day 158 - Everybody Loves a PJ Day

Today was a routine, no big deal, just fine kind of a day. I spent the most part of it alone and I liked the time by myself. Last week was pretty good and I felt okay today, it was just a slow paced, no agenda kind of day. I got distracted early in the day by some work issues that were hanging on from last week, but that felt productive and it moved things forward in my own head. I chose to stick with that instead of heading out and it was a good choice for me. I felt okay today, but not terrific and I decided not to push. Overall, I was relaxed today and by the end of the day I felt well-rested.
 
Every now and then I have one of these days and I think I feel a little guilty because there are already so many days that I'm not really functioning. It's almost like I have a responsibility to make a day productive if I'm not really sick. Rarely do I take a day off and relax, just because I can. It doesn't seem to be acceptable to me anymore. I have to spend some time examining that kind of thinking. I know my friends do lazy, PJ days and they feel just fine with that. I have to remember that I've put in my time as a mom, full-time employee and over-all responsible citizen. Lazy is a word that feels loaded to me - like I have to guard against someone thinking that I'm being less than busy and productive all the time. It is probably some hold-over from my childhood and I need to get over it already!!
 
Actually, I stayed in today because I felt like kind of a slug. I didn't get cleaned up until this afternoon and the only reason I did was because I was such a mess and I didn't want my hubby to see me looking so grungy. The best part about working from home on the phone is that I can feel at least a little productive, even while looking like a bum. I don't know why I have days like this, but I suspect lots of people do. I didn't feel sick, I was just kind of unfocused and unmotivated - I didn't feel like doing much. I wanted to clear my head of stuff that was hanging on, but I had absolutely no desire to leave the comforts of home. Each day has its purpose and when I let a day unfold the way it did today I pay attention to what I need and can take care of myself and address what's on my mind. A slow, easy day every now and then is a very good idea.

3 comments:

  1. The word "lazy" in our society is loaded with judgment, even though the word "laze" is defined as "to pass time in idleness or relaxation". Long ago, when Sunday was deemed a day of rest, idleness and relaxation were an expected part of our weekly routine. We spent time with loved ones, relaxed into fun hobbies, and did things that the work/school week did not allow time for. Good physical and emotional health calls for lazing about, which balances out stress and hectic days. Here's to enjoying that which will make us stronger: a lazy day!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What exactly is it that you do that you are able to work from home? I would love to be able to at least try to do that because there is no way that I can work outside the home at this point. By the way, I just started reading your blogs and I can't stop !! I'm thinking about starting one myself but I know I would not be able to post everyday but at least a couple of times of week would be possible.

    Bless you,

    Kim

    ReplyDelete