Saturday, January 15, 2011

Day 156 - Relentless Ambition - My Plan for Getting Well

This morning a friend and colleague led me to a very interesting article about today's definition of ambition. Ambition is, in fact, perceived as a new and different thing than it used to be.  Years ago, to say someone was ambitious  was almost a negative. Yesterday's definition of ambition included drive, competition and winning. It was about acquisition and the trappings of success. You had to look successful to be successful. Back then, ambition in its rawest form was a force that could create an imbalance and a singular focus. There seemed to be an inability to have a multiple focus - and that was very difficult for women who wanted to be successful. Ambitious people were seen as individuals who would do anything for success and would climb over anyone who got in their way. 
 
A new kind of ambition is what is now valued in our culture and the new definition seems to be more real. Ambition is a good thing when it is translated as a fire in your belly. If the drive for career or work success is balanced with a balanced life and the desire to be successful includes many dimensions, it can lead to a very productive, rewarding and satisfying life. I have many passions and I find great satisfaction in achievement, but not when it is at the expense of my relationships. The new ambition includes emotional intelligence and the ability to be with and work with others on our way to meeting our goals. That for me, has been the only way to do it.
 
Fighting fibro is my new ambition. I am going to be relentless in this battle and I am going to do whatever it takes to get better and better every single day. Ambitious? You bet! I am working as hard at this as any work project I have taken on. I plan on a high degree of sucess, an A+, a signed contract, a raise, a promotion, an office with a view a degree, or any other measure of success I can apply. There is everything to gain and nothing to lose. All the things I'm doing are contributing to my overall health and the least of what I   will gain is a healthy body, with no additional untreated conditions. So the worst case scenario is I'll be a very healthy person with fibro. Not too shabby. So I am committed and ambitious. I am more than five months into this and I like where it's heading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment