Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day 152 - I've Got the Skill but Not the Will


It was a pretty uneventful day and I feel good that I made it through and got done what I needed to do. I don't want to have to go out tomorrow because we're expecting another huge snow storm. Luckily for me, it's going to be a day to relax and watch the snow fall. My hubby did a little grocery shopping so we are ready to hunker down and wait out this next big storm. I just love these snow days when everything just grinds to a halt. I do believe that snow days may be winter's singular redeeming quality. Summer doesn't give us that kind of day off. In the summer the crummy weather just means I'm going to get wet and my umbrella is going to turn inside out! Yep, a snow day is a very good thing.

Driving in this kind of weather is something I don't like to do. I've had my share of driving in the wind and driving snow, and feeling like I was in a swirling white tunnel without being able to see much other than my snow encrusted windshield wipers. I remember trips when I was hunched over the steering wheel of my car trying to see where I was going; shoulders raised, arms tense, and my fingers in a death grip on the steering wheel. I remember the stress of having trucks and faster cars swerving around me on a highway and watching cars spin out of control. On the other side, I also remember being a teenager and making my car skid in a big empty parking lot when no one else was around. It was fun to test my skills and limits and I always felt safe experimenting that way. I've got the skill to drive in the snow - i just don't want to do it any more, ever again! That kind of stress just eats up my energy.and I'd rather spend it on something else.

I am very fortunate that I have a job that doesn't force me out in the terrible cold and blustery weather. I had some blood work done this morning and the technicians were all saying that they are expected to be at work tomorrow, even if there are blizzard conditions. I got to thinking how much I appreciate all of the folks who take care of me and the rest of us in my community, especially in harsh times. Stores are open so people can get food and medicines. Physicians and nurses also take their life in their hands, driving to work on treacherous roads, so they can help others. Round the clock, road crews are salting and clearing the roads. The utility companies are available to restore lost power and all of these folks are working straight through the storm to keep my community safe and operating. Police officers and EMTs are available to come to the rescue when needed and they are at the ready even in this terrible weather. So many people give up their comforts for me and I am appreciative and thankful. When I'm back out and about after the storm I am going to be sure to thank each person I come in contact with that braved the storm so they could be of service to others. Saying thanks is the least I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment