Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Day 160 - I Plan, God Laughs

I plan, God laughs. I read that quote today and kind of sighed. It is so true. I think I have things all figured out and I don't. I think I know what's next and it isn't. I believe one person's lie and doubt another's truth. I question, I wonder, I "get it" some days and other days I just haven't got a clue. I am amazed by people and by life and I am on a fabulous ride. Most of the accomplishments in my life weren't expressed goals - I have always put one foot in front of the next, worked really hard, and infused passion in whatever I did - from parenting to teaching, to building relationships or creating a home for me and my family.
 
I don't mind unpredictability, but a bit of knowing what's coming next isn't such a bad thing in my world. There's a full moon tonight and there's something about it that makes me feel happy and hopeful. There is that beautiful golden ball hanging in the sky above me just as it did last month and all the months before. I can count on that big beautiful moon shining on me and it never lets me down. I love nights when the moon is so bright I can create a moon shadow with as much definition as if I was standing in the sunshine. Not everything in life is predictable, but some things are, and I rely on those things to help me to feel grounded.
 
Just like I count on the moon rising, I also count on the love and support of my family and friends. I like to think that I give as good as I get, and they can count on me, too. But I also know that my tomorrows aren't guaranteed, nor are the tomorrows of the ones I love. People surprise and amaze me and there is no shortage of ways people can thrill me, make me smile, or laugh, give me hope or teach me to be a better version of myself. Even though I don't have everything figured out, I don't think I need to, so I let myself off the hook on that one. Regardless of the challenges my life has put in my path, I am a happy person, fully alive, clearly imperfect, but filled with enthusiasm for what the next day will bring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment