Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Day 167 - Belonging Makes me Healthier and Stronger

There is real power in belonging to a community. There is strength in numbers, and being part of a family, team, a club, an organization, a group, a club or a neighborhood gives me a sense of belonging and purpose. Being around like-minded people is very affirming and comfortable. As much as I love a good discussion and I respect other points of view, there are times I love not having to explain myself and the feeling that comes with that relaxed camaraderie. It's been proven that being part of a community increases not just good health, but longevity. Sign me up for that!
 
I remember the days of walking into the high school cafeteria and hoping my friends would be there and my panic when my lunch buddy was out sick. Then I remember being in college and having a completely different experience. I actually looked forward to getting to the snack bar to hang with whichever of my friends was there, I felt completely comfortable and accepted. It sure made my life easier and I know my stress level went way down! As an adult, I feel confident in most social situations, but every now than then I get that high school lunch period anxiety when I am going to be mostly with people I don't know. Some things never change and what remains true is that we need to belong.
 
My wellness has many dimensions and it seems that every time I open a magazine or watch a television show, I am bombarded with ideas and strategies to increase my health and well-being. It can be quite overwhelming and as much as I would like to do a zillion different things to get myself better, it just isn't realistic. So I keep my plan simple, eat well, exercise as much as I can and not over-do it, sleep well, take my meds, reduce my stress and remain as much a part of my community as I can. It's very easy to start to feel isolated and disconnected when I'm not feeling well, but being with people who "get me" is a great energy booster and a proven way to make me healthier. It's a big job to get healthy, but I think my simple plan has me starting to feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment