Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 151 A Day with Fibro is Like A.....

There are lots of analogies that describe a typical day with fibro.  It's like body surfing and riding a wave - sometimes you catch a good wave and you can ride it right to the shore. You might catch a wave that just carries you for a few minutes then leaves you half-way to where you wanted to land. Or maybe you hang around waiting for the water to lift and carry you, but you're stuck in one spot. Maybe it's like a wind-up toy, it goes fast and crazy at the start of the wind-up but it quickly winds down and brings then comes to a sudden stop. If it's over-wound, instead of taking it further, it won't even start. It's got nothing. Maybe fibro is like a roller coaster because the highs are high and sometimes the dips comes fast and unexpectedly. Some of the dips last a while and so do some of the highs. Or maybe it's like my electric toothbrush. I plug it in and expect it to run for a certain amount of time, but I've never really figured out how long that charge will last.

What I am trying to say is that when a person deals with fibro and chronic fatigue, energy comes in short bursts, is difficult to predict. and even more difficult to determine how long it will last. Today was a pretty typical day for me. I woke up at my regular time and stayed in bed for a little while so my body could adjust to being awake. These few minutes have helped to reduce my morning stiffness and I am less likely to want to climb right back into bed after just a small part of my morning routine is finished. I allow my body to wake up slowly and I stretch and spend a few minutes in relaxation and then set my intentions for the day. Does starting slowly guarantee I will have a good morning? Not necessarily - but it is part of a routine that I think will help in the long run. I had just one errand to run today and I did that mid-morning. While I was out I started to feel myself getting tired so I finished things up and headed home.

I had a bit of lunch and then headed to my room to rest. I spent the afternoon working on getting my energy back. It didn't work very well. By late afternoon I was even less energized than I felt on my errand, so I took a short nap. Now I'm up and feeling okay. My vision has been blurred most of the day and that's usually a sign that I am fatigued. It was a busy, but productive and happy weekend. Today I am back on the roller coaster, riding my wave, getting wound up over things that inspire me and getting myself plugged into whatever energy source is going to get me through - good food, my vitamins and supplements, rest, and of course the energy that comes from feeling connected and engaged in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment