Thursday, September 30, 2010

Day 50 - Catch the Moment - It's the Present Life Gives Me


Last night I witnessed one of the most unusual sunsets I've ever seen. I'm at camp with lots of cabins and a big community dining hall in a rural mountain community. My work group was sitting around a big table at dinner. As I glanced out of the window, I noticed the water on the lake was bright red! I called it to the attention of the folks sitting around me, but I just couldn't let it pass me by. I had to go outside and really see it and drink it in, it was that unusual. The sun was setting over the mountain and it gave off an almost iridescent glow that was so intense, the reflection turned an entire portion of the lake scarlet. There was a photographer outside with a tripod and I mentioned to him that he must have gotten some pretty special shots. He said he had not seen a sunset like the one we were witnessing for over thirty-five years, and he lives in these mountains. If I had stayed in my seat, i would have missed it. My colleague and I stood and stared at the display in amazement. I felt like I had been given a gift, it was that special.

It's beautiful here at the lake. The color of the trees is vibrant and dramatic this time of year and I don't want to miss any of it. It's like if I keep staring at those colors, I can make it all last longer because it seems to me that time just keeps moving faster and faster. Each season seems to begin and end in a heartbeat and I want it all to slow down. Time passes and there isn't anything I can do about that. What I can focus on is being fully present in these moments, to take the time to stop, look around and really see where I am and take in what I'm experiencing. I want to make sure I don't just go through the motions in life and to and then miss the little things that can make my days special and unique.


Some days all I want to focus on is getting done whatever is in front of me because that's what I can handle. But it's days like today that remind me that even if I'm not feeling all that well, there is a lot of life going on around me. There is beauty and drama, as well as changes, challenges and possibilities. I can miss all of that if I forget to be in the moment and to squeeze every bit of joy and life that I can from my experience. I might be seeing something as breath-taking as that dramatic sunset or as calming as a small and simple garden, but it is my job to be fully present in my life and to let it all in.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I hope that you got that photographer's name so that he can send you a copy of one of his shots - that way you can frame it and hang it as a reminder to live in the moment. Good message. Hope that you are having fun, Mom! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. God gives us special moments its what we do with them that counts, it seems to me you did exactly what you were supposed to do, enjoy it. Its the small simple pleasures that bring us the most joy.
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete