Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Day 41 - The Times, they are a Changin'...

This past weekend I decided to clear out all the little indicators of summer around the house and come to terms with the fact that autumn is here. I changed the wreath on the front door, and put away all the trinkets and treasures that sit around the house to bring the summer inside. Instead, I filled nooks and crannies with pine cones and acorns, pumpkins, bright colored leaves and oddly shaped gourds. It makes me feel good to go through the ritual of changing seasons inside while it is happening outside.
 
The leaves haven't started changing much yet, but as I drive around I see that some have already fallen. The process has begun. The mornings and the evenings are chilly but the chill makes for easy, snuggled-in nights. It's nice to come home from work to a warm house and a hot cup of tea or coffee. I keep a cozy throw on the couch and it is almost always wrapped around me once summer is over. I seem to feel my best in the "between seasons" - the ones between winter and summer. The extremes just knock me out. But a day like today gives me a boost and I feel like I am capable of getting things done.  So I do! Today was one of those days and it was great that I had the energy to do what I needed to do. These perfect days when I feel healthy and well enough to enjoy them are spectacular, and believe me, I appreciate every one of them.
 
I love the fall (I just don't like the northeast winters that follow), and I do love the colors, textures and boldness of autumn. The leaves are showing us their last hurrah. They may be falling - but they are going down in a blaze of glory (like me on a crash day!). Nighttime comes before I'm ready, but with it comes the Harvest Moon. The pumpkins, apples and corn at the farm stand seem more special on a late September afternoon. It is an event just to go out and find the perfect pumpkin for the front porch. And if there's a mug of warm cider and a donut to go with it - all the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment