Monday, September 20, 2010

Day 40 - I Don't Want to be Wide Awake!!!!

The other night was another night of torturous insomnia - so tired, but not sleepy. How is it that I can fall asleep in my car, on the side of the road, but I can't go to sleep in my bed at night? Anyway, I got ready for bed at a reasonable hour, popped my meds and snuggled in for a blissful night's sleep. I pulled up the fluffy comforter, closed my eyes, and did my deep breathing. I did my relaxation exercise to let go of all the stress in my body. I started at my toes and worked my way up to my head and released all thoughts of the day. I said my prayers and waited for sleep to come over me. But nope, not yet. So I squiggled around under the covers to try to get comfortable again and I waited. And waited. I fluffed the pillows, turned to my other side, took a few deep breaths and thought - okay, all systems go. Ready for sleep. Ummm, not yet.

Plan B. Got up to read for a little bit to get drowsy and try again. Did that and it didn't work. It was now almost 1 AM and I was still wide awake. Climbed back into bed and got comfy. I waited and waited for sleep and then aaarrkkkk-cchhhh, aaarrkkkk-cchhhh hubby started snoring! It was loud and (so sorry for saying this - annoying!). I rolled him over on his side cause that usually quiets things long enough for me to fall asleep. Okay, good, no snoring - but the teeth grinding? Can't do it!! Reached into the drawer and pulled out my cute little purple ear plugs. Ahhhh. Much better. Almost forgot about them. Now sleep was sure to come. Fifteen minutes later. Still awake.

Plan C. Sleep in spare room. I drag the comforter upstairs, open the window for some fresh air and snuggle into the silence of the room, ready for sleep. I'm relaxed, confident that at any moment I will drift off. Then the cat arrives and plops down next to me purring his little brains out. This will not work - no pets in bed! So I put him out of the room and close the door and climb back into the coolness of my bed. A few minutes later the cat starts scratching at the door, begging to come back in. I get up and shoo him away. Good. He's gone. Back into bed I plop ready to sleep the rest of the night away. And ten minutes later he's back pawing at the door.  I give up and let him back in hoping he will settle in and just go to sleep and leave me alone. He was quiet, but now it's another fifteen minutes later and I'm still wide awake.

Plan D. Watch a few minutes of television to get my mind of going to sleep. Maybe I can trick myself into sleeping if I'm in front of the TV. I watch the last fifteen minutes of season five of American Idol. Taylor Hicks wins, Big deal - it's frickin 2 AM and I'm still awake!! Off goes the TV. I get myself all settled in the bed again and close my eyes and start to feel myself drifting off. It's bliss. Success!! This time I know I'll be in the land of nod in no time at all. It's quiet, I'm comfortable. There is a soft breeze and a little nip in the air. It's perfect sleeping weather. Off I drift.....and THE CAT STARTS TO SNORE!!! He was snoring like a little old man and I was jolted out of my drift into oblivion. Who knew a cat could snore that loud? I tossed him out the door. He knew not to come a-knocking again.

By now it was almost two thirty in the morning and I started to think about the day I'd be facing at the other end of my sleep deprived night. I was aggravated and so incredibly tired.  So I did my breathing again and I started all over again with my relaxation. Somewhere between my arms and my shoulders, sleep crept in. I woke up later than I wanted to in the morning and dragged myself out of bed. I wound up taking a nap in the afternoon to make up for the sleep I lost the night before. This time I started alone, upstairs, with the door closed, the window open and my sleepy self just barely able to stay awake. I fell asleep easily and slept for a couple of blissful hours and I have to say it was just yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment