Monday, September 27, 2010

Day 47 - A Little at a Time, Over Time


The beavers that live along the water up at our cabin have no shortage of ambition. Last winter they took down over eighty trees and were working on a whole bunch more. They take the tree down by chewing into the trunk and then after it falls, strip all the smaller branches to use in making their lodge. They will take on a tree as big around as a coffee table and keep working on it until it falls.

One of the most curious things about the beaver's tree-felling ability is their persistence. I've seen tree stumps that had a huge knot in the wood. No problem - the beaver just started all over again a little higher up the trunk. We saw one tree that had a series of starts until it topped off with the characteristic peak made from the beaver's razor sharp teeth. We assumed it was another instance of hitting a knot in the wood. But no, it was because the beaver started gnawing and then a snow storm hit. It left a few inches of snow on the ground so the beaver just started again above the snow line. The job wasn't finished before another storm hit and then another and forced the beaver further up the trunk. Thus, the series of huge indentations up the tree. He had his heart set on that tree and nothing would deter him.

During this year I am looking for little bits of inspiration that pop up in my life to help me win this fibro battle. The persistence and flat-out determination of those beavers is something to embrace. For the size of them, those critters do take on some monumental tasks. They do a little at a time but they just don't give up. They keep doing their task little bit, by little bit. If there's a set-back, they go to Plan B and keep working toward the goal. That's all any of us can do. I can take on my challenge one day at a time or if that's too much, a half day or an hour or a minute at a time. I may have set-backs or days where it's all going according to plan. The lesson I can learn from those chubby, single-minded creatures is that a little at a time, over time, will give me my desired result. And since I have my heart set on recovery - that's how it will happen for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment