Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Day 42 - Intravenous Vitamins - Being Sick or Getting Well?

My first IV vitamin treatment was last week. My hubby drove me to my appointment because we really didn't know what to expect and it was possible for me not to feel very well once I was done. It's a long drive so it was nice to have the company and the support. The treatment was all very uneventful - IV started easily, I sat in a waiting room with my hubby for the hour and fifteen minutes it took for all those juicy vitamins to drip down into my arm. This is a new concept for me to get my head around - I am literally pumping vitamins directly to every muscle and fiber of my being. Amazing. During the process, my mouth got very dry but no big deal. I did feel a bit woozy about half-way through, but that passed and I did okay. I felt little tired when I was finished, but I stayed awake all the way home.

There was one thing, though, that surprised me. Once my IV was in place and I was all taped up, the nurse rolled the IV pole, with me tagging along, into the room where my hubby was waiting for me. I sat down and the nurse fiddled around with a few things, then I settled in. My hubby asked if I was okay. I took one look at him and just burst into tears. I couldn't stop crying. I looked at that pole with the bag of liquid hanging over me and I was overwhelmed with the enormity of it all. I kept thinking - I'm not sick. Only sick people need IVs and I'm not sick. I live with a condition called fibro. Does that make me sick? Whether it does or it doesn't, it was really the first time I thought of myself that way and I didn't like it one bit!

Today I am heading off to my doctor's office for my second intravenous vitamin infusion. I am going with a different perspective. I'm not getting an IV because I'm sick, it is because I am getting better. That shift in thinking will help me to feel motivated and focused on my goal of recovery. I guess it makes sense that if I'm depleted, I need some kind of a jump-start to get me going again. And if that means staring at a pole for an hour a week, so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment