Thursday, September 23, 2010

Day 43 - Side Effects Freak Me Out - Literally!

Early in my fibro fight, I started a new timed-release med that was supposed to help with  symptoms. The doc said it was typically used for depression, but folks with fibro had good results. I wasn't depressed, but what the heck. Since I was out of work on a six month medical leave, and new to the battle, I was game for just about anything. I filled the prescription and took the first pill on a Friday. I didn't realize it, but I started having visual distortions within the first few hours. For some reason, I was able to explain them away in my own mind and didn't think much of it. That's pretty bad when you're so out of it you can't tell you're having hallucinations! Later that evening my future hubby came by, and he realized something was wrong. I called my doc that day, but he never got back to me and I headed off to bed.

I don't know what possessed me to take a second dose of this long-acting med. Maybe it was because I wasn't thinking clearly. Next morning future hubby left early, He kissed me good-bye and asked if I was okay. I said, "yes", and he left. As I started to wake up I realized something was very, very wrong so I called a friend to come and sit with me because I was afraid to be alone and feeling all whacked-out.. Before she could get to my house, I had already called 911 because I got all freaked out, crazy and scared by body's reaction. My heart was racing and I couldn't control my muscles. I was having spasms and was crying and holy crap - I was a mess! This stuff was supposed to relieve symptoms, not create a whole new list. I wound up in the emergency room scaring the hell out of me, my daughter, my hubby-to-be and my friend. I was embarrassed, humiliated and angry. In those moments I felt powerless.

Entry after entry of the fibro support page I visit tells tales of terrible side effects from the meds we are given by the doctors we trust. I have suffered side effects from nearly every "fibromyalgia med" I have been prescribed. Some meds were annoying, others not so bad, but some were simply intolerable. Not every doctor was oblivious to the suffering these side effects cause, but others demonstrated a cavalier attitude when I reported difficulties. After a while, I simply took myself off meds between appointments when I sensed I was in trouble with a new med. Today I am feeling more confident in the hands of my Lady Doc. She seems to know what she's doing and after seven weeks in this program - not a single negative side effect! I think I just might be on the right track.

3 comments:

  1. Ah yes, I remember that day vividly. It breaks my heart that you have had these experiences and I hope that you never have to go through anything like that every again. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana, I have similar side effects, and have done exactly the same, taken myself off them, can you remember which meds they were that caused the visual distortions and hallucinations?
    San Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings, San Lee. The med was timed-release Effexor. I have heard from a number of other people that they have had similar problems. Thanks for reading and hope you are feeling well. Diana

    ReplyDelete