Saturday, September 25, 2010

Day 45 - Cat Person or Dog Person - Does it Matter?

The secret is out - I have a crush on my dog! It may be since he is the first dog I've owned as an adult. or it may be because he is big, beautiful, goofy and smart. I had recently been married and the hubby was talking about getting a dog. Since I've pretty much thought of myself as a cat person - this was stretch for me. We did an online survey to tell us what kind of dog would be best for our lifestyle and temperament needs. I had never heard of a Golden-Doodle, but there it was - our perfect match. Next step, find out what I could. So gathered some information and then things pretty much stopped there. We weren't sure this was the time to bring a puppy into our new family.

Some time later, I was heading off to a meeting and I saw a sign, Golden Doodles for Sale. I had a few minutes to spare, and my car just leaned right into that turn. Next thing you know, I was on the phone with the hubster and holding a bucket of fluff in my arms. He met me after my meeting and Rusty came home with us. What a joy! I did have some concerns about caring for the dog because quite simply, there are times when I can't  make it across the street with him, let alone around the block or to the park. So Hubby is in charge of daily walks and exercise outings. He also takes Rusty for classes at our local animal shelter. That way, they both get exercise, even when I'm not up to it. When my hubby is out of town for a long period, we have a friend that takes the dog to give me a break. That way, I don't feel the pressure of long walks twice per day walks. One real challenge has been when hubby is late coming home from a  meeting and I'm having a really bad day,  the dog still has to go out. Thanks goodness I have my daughter and son-in-law to help out. It does get complicated sometimes, but it's all okay.

So what does a dog have to do with my wellness? For one thing, he does get me walking because when I am up to it - we walk. Rusty is BIG and so its hard to take a walk without getting into conversation with passers-by. Good for a little burst of social energy. I love his presence in the house and the way, even after four years, he keeps trying to make friends with our cat (who is still horrified that we brought this gallumping, humongous creature into his abode). Rusty makes me laugh and we have our little routine of tricks that we do together. He keeps my heart light and open. I no longer think of myself as a cat person - kind of more like a pet person. So he has expanded who I thought myself to be. He is simply wonderful and I look forward each day to spending time with him and watching his antics. He's not perfect - but he's perfect for us and that works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment