Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Day 27 - Hi-ho Hi-ho It's Off to Work I Go

It's tough to get back in the swing of things after a long weekend or a vacation. I think I expect to feel better and have my fibro and chronic fatigue under control after I haven't worked for a while - even though nothing much else is changed. Feeling crummy makes me start to think about how hard it is for me to keep working and I wonder if that's the best choice for me. Then again, maybe I give work less credit that it is due when it comes to my wellness. Work is actually very good for me and it energizes me in a different way than other aspects of my life. When I am at work I am "on duty" in the best sense of the word. I have a purpose, a job to get done and a whole group of people around me who are supportive of each other. We all have a goal and even though we may be working on different aspects of that goal - we are all working toward the same thing. There's an excitement and a sense of serving others that is nurturing to my soul.

I have always believed that a person's work is not what makes them important. It's the way an individual approaches their work, their attitude toward it, and the pride they take in a job well-done that make them and their work meaningful. Now, it's true that brain surgeons are pretty smart and they have a high pressure job - but if they are a crummy brain surgeon, filled with self pride and no time to be caring and nurturing of their patients - does that make them great? I know lots of folks who do small jobs in big ways. I know people who go about their work with joy and gusto and they give it all they've got. Although there may be parts of my job I could do without, it makes sense to me to approach my work life with optimism and a strong sense of purpose.

When I am not well, my job gets a lot harder. But I do know that the discipline of getting up and getting into the office is good for me. It's good for me to have responsibilities and deadlines, projects and people I am accountable to for their success and for my own. When I am having an especially difficult week I think about quitting my job and just staying home. But then I realize that I am just not ready to give it up yet. I will re-arrange my work schedule, call in sick when I have to and ask for help when I need it. My work doesn't define me nor does my illness, but for me, having work gives my life direction and meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment