Thursday, July 28, 2011

Day 348 - I'm a Medical Consumer - Please Do No Harm

I was reading today that healthcare is the place to go for a profitable career - partly because of an aging population, but also because there is profit to be made in the industry. One line in the article stood out because of its absurdity. It stated, "Consumers often become even sicker through accessing the healthcare system, thereby generating repeat business". That is a pretty powerful statement and one I have heard before. One of my biggest concerns in being treated for a chronic condition is that I am going to need to manage this condition for my entire life. That means if my meds have serious possible side effects, I could be doing damage to my system and then that damage would need to be treated. Many meds that are promoted for fibro care are newer meds, or meds that started out being used for another purpose. The long term effects of these drugs is largely unknown, so I have to be an informed and savvy consumer. .
 
This situation creates a real dilemma, I need meds but I also need to make sure the meds do no harm. I have been offered just about every drug there is for fibro and fatigue by a good number of physicians who had no other options. I tried some of the meds they prescribed, but had immediate side effects that were intolerable. That's probably a good thing because those signals from my body let me know this was a drug that could have created other problems for me. Some doctors were okay with my not wanting to continue a med, others weren't very supportive. That is until I found my Lady Doc. She is a holistic physician and she appears to be very good at putting together a plan for me that helps without hurting. I am on a number of meds and supplements and I have zero side effects. The supplements I take are supported by research as being effective and I have read up on a good number of them because I want to know what I am taking. Some of the meds I am taking have been around for a very long time and that gives me a sense of confidence.
 
Individual doctors seem to me to be sincere and I appreciate their point of view. But I have to make my choices and do what I believe is best for me over the long haul. I have had a couple of doctors say I was non-compliant, which is a nice way of saying I wouldn't do what they wanted me to do, I read, I research and I ask questions. I believe it is my responsibility as a patient to know what course of treatment I am involved in so that I can do my part to comply. There have been doctors who were impatient with me when I had a question or didn't understand what they we saying. I stayed with those doctors for exactly one visit. I remember one doctor in particular who had me near tears because I didn't understand the results of a particular test and I needed more information. His tone of voice and his dismissive manner made me feel uncomfortable. So with test results in hand, I moved on to another more compassionate physician and got the answers I needed. I continue to ask questions and look for answers. This journey is a long road and I want to feel confident that my medical choices will serve me well on my way to increased wellness.

No comments:

Post a Comment