Saturday, July 16, 2011

Day 336 - Sometimes I Just Need to Get Going, to Get Going

I've got just a few minutes before I have to drag my weary butt off this couch and get myself ready to go out. It's late afternoon of day three of the blahs. I am supposed to go to the beach tonight for dinner and a walk on the boardwalk. But truth be told, it isn't looking very appealing. I love the beach, especially early in the evening when the sand is cool on my feet and the beaches are deserted. The sun doesn't feel oppressively hot and it feels wonderful to just sit and watch the waves rolling in. As much as I love the idea of going out, I don't really feel like it. But, I'm going to go anyway because I have learned that sometimes I need to get going in order to get going. There's a law of physics that basically says that an object that is at rest will stay at rest unless some outside force acts upon it. So as long as I stay on the couch, I am more likely to stay on the couch. But I'm not an object, I'm a person.

The external force that is getting me moving today is my commitment to my hubby that we will do something fun for ourselves this weekend. Most of our socializing involves family and I have to admit that other than those activities, we don't plan much else. So regardless of my slow day, I am going to push myself (in a good way) and get out of the house and have a great night. I have seen that law of physics in effect in my daily life, again and again. Unless something really gets me going, on a bad day, nothing gets me going. But on a blah day, once I am up I seem to build momentum as the day progresses. The later afternoon into the evening is my very best time of day. That's why we planned to leave late afternoon instead of going to the beach for the day, We are taking advantage of my best time so I can truly enjoy myself.

Another law of physics says that once an object is in motion, it's won't stop unless something gets in its way. Fibro and fatigue are the typical culprits that stop me dead in my tracks. We all operate within the rhythms and cycles in our bodies. We eat because we get a hunger signal and we sleep because our bodies tell us we can't keep our eyes open one more second. We wake up because we have cycled through the various levels of sleep and we are supposed to wake refreshed. I sometimes feel like my body has forgotten to send certain signals. I wake up fatigued and I'm not sleepy at the end of the day. The time of day when most people are busy at their jobs, I am feeling tired and depleted. When the day is over that's when I start to feel energized and I have to make myself go to bed because at night I'm just not sleepy. I can't rely on my body's signals so I suppose I have to be my own outside force that gets me going and keeps me going.  Right now my body is telling me to go to the beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment